Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Heights

Old 01-31-2008, 09:28 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Heights

I get the willies climbing a 6' ladder and am deathly afraid of heights. I use an API climber. I just make sure I am climbing well before dark so I CAN'T look. Once I am settled in I am good. But the climb up isn't fun, especially when the stand shifts or settles when I shift my weight while climbing...
Old 01-31-2008, 09:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yep...I could look at the ground and feel it pulling me down...Until they came out with body harnesses...With one of them on, in my climbers, I'm good to go...I don't hunt hang ons, at 6'5" and 250, not enough room...
Old 01-31-2008, 10:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

i hate heights, but once i get strapped in a safety harness in a stand thats up to 20' tall i feel like im on hte ground
Old 02-01-2008, 06:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: kingvjack

So, I would be forced to believe that I'm the only bow hunter who's afraid of heights......
So, anyone else here absolutely refuse to use a treestand cause you don't feel comfy in it?
Or am I the only one?
Your a smart man! Many people have no business being in a tree.
Old 02-01-2008, 09:24 AM

Afraid of heights is not a good term. A better term would be I respect heights. Every one feels uneasy when elevated off the ground but can feel more comfortable in a stand by knowing yourstand and how to operate it safely. Also always inspect your stand for defects, cracks, loosenutsor bolts before every use and I do mean every use. You can never be too safe! And always use a saftey harness, if you get to your stand and realize you leftyour harness in the truck orhome go back and get it. If not, STAY ON THE GROUND. My rope I use tu pull up my bow is 25 feet long, as Igo up with my climber I know when to stopwhen my bow lifts off the ground. 25 feet maybe to high for some but it works well with me. Again I'm not afraid of heights but I do respectit. Maybe climbing 110 foot woodutility poles for many years gave me that respect. Overall climb to the height that feels most comfortable for you and always climb safely.
Old 02-01-2008, 09:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

I like to climb I wish I had alot of those huge pine trees where I hunted. I would climb and hunt out of them instead of a climbing stand.
Old 02-01-2008, 09:28 AM

virginiashadow, pines are great cover but the limbs are very brittle. If you ever do it be safe.
Old 02-01-2008, 10:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

You guys that are afraid to climb might want to try those ameristep 2 person ladder stands. 12 feet to the platform and you can put a nice burlap blind around the rails. They have worked out well in a couple spots and can be had for $100 or less.I use hang ons too but without the rails they can make ya nervous.
Old 02-01-2008, 11:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: virginiashadow

I like to climb I wish I had alot of those huge pine trees where I hunted. I would climb and hunt out of them instead of a climbing stand.
Height is relative.

Old 02-01-2008, 11:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

A lot of guys are Afraid of heights and really have no business in a Tree.

I've worked construction for 25 years so really in a Treestand is not what I call high.[8D]

I have sent a few guys to hunt out of some of my stands and they wouldn't/couldn't get in them

Dan

Quick Reply: Heights

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.