Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Ouch! Why am I hitting my arm so much!

Old 01-31-2008, 01:47 PM
Fork Horn

Default Ouch! Why am I hitting my arm so much!

Ok, I'm 27 and have been shooting a bow since I was 14 so I've been at it a while. I've always shot a PSE with a 29" draw at about 55-60lbs. I finally bought a new bow after 7 years with my PSE. I got the Bear Instinct in 29", 66lb draw. I never ever had a problem with hitting my wrist before with the string but I do it ALL the time with the Bear!!! I mean, its starting to hurt!!! I actually had to take a day off because it was so puffy. Anyway, I thought I had it cured by holding the bow with my hand at a different angle and it helped somewhat but I keep going back to my old for form and the beating continues. Is it because it so much more of a shorter bow for me? I didn't think that would be the issue. This bow also has the string loop which I never used before, could this effect the draw length, thus screwing with my arm? I'm at a loss so any input would be most appreciated!
Old 01-31-2008, 01:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Ouch! Why am I hitting my arm so much!

I would venture to guess that your draw length is to long.
Old 01-31-2008, 01:59 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: gutshot

I would venture to guess that your draw length is to long.
Or bad form, did you go down in brace height?

That's the only two reasons anyone should hit their arm, bad form or too long of a draw which go hand in hand.
Old 01-31-2008, 01:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Are you really a 29" draw??? That is my first question. Did you change anything??? Shooting a loop now vs. off the string before??? Fingers vs. release??? I have more questions than answers, sorry. Are you over-gripping the bow??? Try to keep you hand nice and relaxed, and don't choke the handle. I'm sure there are other suggestions coming.

You mention the loop, I must have browsed over that, and YES, it makes your draw about 1/2" longer, but I wouldn't think that alone would do it. I can and have shot bows up to 31" with a release, just had to cheat a little, but 1/2" shouldn't make that big of a difference.
Old 01-31-2008, 02:07 PM
Fork Horn

Axle to axle my new Bear is almost a full foot shorter than my old PSE. I'm shooting 10lbs more draw weight and the new bow has the string loop which my old bow didn't. I shoot with a release, my old one just broke before I got the bow so I am shooting with a new release but I don't think that would be the issue. Im pretty sure I'm 29" draw but now I guess I have my doubts. I've shot a 29" bow for 13 years without any issues before getting this one. I thought it could be my grip since the handle is also thinner but I actually went as far as opening my hand up and just pretty much keeping my thumb and index finger to balance everything out. My form has always been good but could making the jump up 10-12lbs in draw weight have anything to do with it? Maybe my form is suffering because i made the jump in one shot?
Old 01-31-2008, 02:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Whats your wing span? Will be able to tell ya if your draw is wrong then. WCL
Old 01-31-2008, 02:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

What would be very helpful is if you could get a picture of yourself at full draw (with and arrow nocked). Try to get one that includes your feet as well. This will help determine if it is your form, your draw length, or a combination.
Old 01-31-2008, 03:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GPMD

Axle to axle my new Bear is almost a full foot shorter than my old PSE. I'm shooting 10lbs more draw weight and the new bow has the string loop which my old bow didn't. I shoot with a release, my old one just broke before I got the bow so I am shooting with a new release but I don't think that would be the issue. Im pretty sure I'm 29" draw but now I guess I have my doubts. I've shot a 29" bow for 13 years without any issues before getting this one. I thought it could be my grip since the handle is also thinner but I actually went as far as opening my hand up and just pretty much keeping my thumb and index finger to balance everything out. My form has always been good but could making the jump up 10-12lbs in draw weight have anything to do with it? Maybe my form is suffering because i made the jump in one shot?
Certainly, jumping this much weight at once can cause some issues, not to exclude over-torquing and gripping, which may get you locking your arm out to make sure you get the bow back. Once it's locked, it's in danger. As was said though, post a pic of you at full draw, and more answers may be on the way. I personally don't like "loops" because I feel like I'm potentially going to bust it. Seen a guy knock some teeth loose once that way, made up my mind in a HURRY!!
Old 01-31-2008, 03:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

I've got a Bear TRX - and I know for a fact the draw length is NOT too long -that's a wrist stinger when it's backed off to 65 lbs. It's not bad when it's cranked down to 70. At 6 3/4" brace, I just don't think there's enough tension on the string to limit the forward string travel on the shot.It'd probably be a good candidate for one of those string suppressor doodads. Not saying that's the issue with yours, but I'm pretty sure that's what's going on with mine.

Actually, my bow came with a string suppressor type thing that had the stopper combined with the cable slide. Wierd deal! I replaced it with a standard cable slide at once. Maybe I should investigate that thing a little more.

Don't worry about the loop.Simply use good quality loop material,keep it waxed, run a Q-tip or cotton ball over and around the jaws on your release every so oftento make sure you don't have any damage or burrs, replace the loop about once a year - your major pre-hunting seasontune up and sight in is the perfect time to do it -and you'll never break one.

The only people that break them are the ones who try to push them long after they should have been replaced. The only people that have the knots come undone are the ones who screwed up tying them in the first place. Loops are perfectly safe to use.
Old 01-31-2008, 03:28 PM

Arthur P.. I too have a TRX and find myself getting slapped at times. Mine came with the string suppressor and I too took it off. I've wondered if itwas the bow or me. Seeing your post, maybe its not all me.

Quick Reply: Ouch! Why am I hitting my arm so much!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.