Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Ouch! Why am I hitting my arm so much!

Old 01-31-2008, 03:44 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Ouch! Why am I hitting my arm so much!

Thanks for the advice guys! I'll set the camera up tomorrow and post the form....maybe i don't want to see the results

The bow came at 70lbs and I cranked it down to 66lbs. It said 60-70lb draw weight so I didn't think it would matter but after Arthurs post, maybe that has something to do with it.

I have a feeling I'm locking my arm that holds the bow too due to the increased draw weight. I didn't realize it until it was mentioned and now I'm visualizing it in my head and I'm pretty sure I push out with the left arm as I draw back with the right until the left locks. I'll give it the tests and photos tomorrow and post what I come up with. Thanks to everyone for the help so far
Old 01-31-2008, 03:59 PM
Fork Horn

first make sure your form is alright then put on a STS
Old 01-31-2008, 04:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

I also had a thought come to mind that someone else didn't mention, I think...

You mention you bought a new Bear, and that you're now shooting a loop... By chance, is this the loop that came "factory" with the bow? The reason I ask is they're loops look absolutely horrible to me. I don't mean this as a slam on their bows; I'm sure they're great in all respects. But I've seen first-hand the loops on at least 10 different models of their bows, and they're all tied where the loop is 3/4 of an inch to a full inch long... That's going to adversely affect your anchor point and form if you keep the draw length the same as when you shot off the string.
Old 01-31-2008, 06:48 PM
Fork Horn

Hey Greg,

Wow, never thought of that. I just measured my loop, from string to the part of the loop that my release would touch and its just short of 7/8". I never shot a loop before and this is my first and yes it is the one that came "factory" with the bow. Stupid me assumed all loops would be the same. I wasn't a fan of the loop as it was but I figured it was the "in" thing and since it came with the bow I could just get used to it. I'm going to take the loop off tomorrow and shoot a few arrows and see what happens. I'll post the results or the entertaining pictures of the inside of my wrist
Old 01-31-2008, 07:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

If you ever DO decide you want to start shooting a loop (there are many inherent advantages for doing so...), you may want to take a look at this thread to learn how to tie one on correctly

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=2185934
Old 01-31-2008, 08:52 PM
Typical Buck

I was slapping my arm at first when i got my Bear Truth. My grip was the same as what worked on my old bow but i just figured the design of the handle or something was causing it to hit my arm. The quick fix was just making sure i rolled my wrist out when i held the bow, so instead of your elbow pointing straight down when you put your bow hand out it should be pointed kind of to your left and it moves your whole arm away from the path of the string...get what i'm saying?
Old 02-01-2008, 05:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

Absolutely your string loop can effect your draw lenght. Itsounds as if itsa bit too long. Youve added to the length of what you are pulling by at least 1/4-1/2 inch give or take. I know PSE and Bear make different grips as well, you could be torqing your bow just a bit as well.

ORIGINAL: GPMD

Ok, I'm 27 and have been shooting a bow since I was 14 so I've been at it a while. I've always shot a PSE with a 29" draw at about 55-60lbs. I finally bought a new bow after 7 years with my PSE. I got the Bear Instinct in 29", 66lb draw. I never ever had a problem with hitting my wrist before with the string but I do it ALL the time with the Bear!!! I mean, its starting to hurt!!! I actually had to take a day off because it was so puffy. Anyway, I thought I had it cured by holding the bow with my hand at a different angle and it helped somewhat but I keep going back to my old for form and the beating continues. Is it because it so much more of a shorter bow for me? I didn't think that would be the issue. This bow also has the string loop which I never used before, could this effect the draw length, thus screwing with my arm? I'm at a loss so any input would be most appreciated!
Old 02-01-2008, 07:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Increased weight can also make you roll your bow shoulder, elbow and wrist, all this puts you inside the string path and BAM, OUCH. Make sure you get the bow out of the palm of your hand and don't torque it over.

Old 02-01-2008, 07:23 AM
Fork Horn

Yep, shorten the draw length.

Darrall