Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Loop guys

Old 01-31-2008, 08:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Rope release guys

im blushing germ ...i might REALLY have to watch out for the spoon move if we ever get to cross paths

i got some brains between my ears...or atleast i like to think. actually, the shop owner told me with a properly tied loop, i really dont need nocks of any sort, but it was my decision. i had one inside the loop, that i would nock my arrow beneath...i told him go ahead and take it off see if i like it...i was real worried about it moving, so i marked 1 of the knots of the loop with a red sharpie...being my center serving is black with some white specs, you really have to look to find it, but i know where its at...cant be the goober at the 3d shoot that marked his serving with a sharpie
Old 01-31-2008, 08:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

1.Why not use the Ultra Nock?
Heavy, with all the problems that go with it. Excessive forward string travel, even enough for the metal to peen the back of the rest on some lower brace bows. More chance of wrist slap. Slower arrow speeds.

They are metal. Unyeilding. The string makes a severe bend on each side of the loop causing premature wear and damage. I have seen many strings break exactly flush with the loop. And when that string breaks with a piece of metal screwed onto it, you have a really good chance of getting a pretty serious cut on your face or arms.

All in all, they're not worth the risk. In my humble opinion, that is. I'm sure there are some poor deluded souls out there that love them.

2.Have you ever struggle to get your release on at the moment of truth
Use a good, stiff loop material and keep the loop well waxed. The wax keeps it open for easy, quick hookups and gives good wear resistance. And practice doesn't hurt either.

3.Have you ever have the rope move up or down?
Once they're pulledtight, they don't move.
Old 01-31-2008, 09:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Loop guys

1. Never tried one
2. I use a old style Hot-Shot hand release that always stays on the loop
3. No
Old 01-31-2008, 10:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

Go to a loop and don't look back. I was reluctant at first too, but its been nothing but easy.
I can hook up my release without even looking. Stiff quality loop material is important.
Old 01-31-2008, 12:03 PM
Boone & Crockett

Here ya go Germ,

This is priceless. http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=2185934
Old 01-31-2008, 02:21 PM
Super Moderator

Here is how I tie mine on, modeled after my pro shop owner. I tie my own on because I trust myself more. Get the burnt balls(ends) right and you'll have no problems. Make sure you pull each end as tight as you can. Pull first end tight before you even tie the other side, then pull string loop as tight as you can using needlenose pliers, seating 2nd end.

Old 01-31-2008, 08:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

no problems at all with mine, other than the PRO shop had put it on wrong, i had to change it, they had the knots on the same side instead of stagered.
Old 02-01-2008, 06:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

I forgot one other teensie little problem with metal loops... They will absolutely ruin aluminum jaws on a release. I just got reminded of that one yesterday. I bought a new Scott Mongoose and was actually reading the warranty info (slow day ). It said using a metal loop will void the warranty.
Old 02-01-2008, 08:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Get the loop where you want it and put some serving above and below it and it wont move. I use a short loop but it is perfect. No problems during hunting. The metal clamp on loop will wear out your release.