Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How popular is archery where you live?

Old 01-31-2008, 01:39 AM

Default How popular is archery where you live?

I would love to do more things archery related.........shoot in leagues, tournaments (fun ones), 3D, etc.........but in order to do so I literally have to travel a LONG ways and even then participation is minimal. Guys just don't care around here very much.........they shoot their bows to get warmed up for archery season and that's about it.

Most ranges and pro shops are visibly just scraping by and I rarely see guys just out shooting for no other reason.

I tried to join a league at a local shop and the owner called me the week it was supposed to start and said not to bother because only 2 other guys signed up

I enjoy shooting my bow...........period. I guess most guys around me just don't.

Kinda sucks.
Old 01-31-2008, 03:26 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: How popular is archery where you live?

I can shoot in a 3D tournament from the time deer season ends.....until it begins again......most every weekend. I will have to drive no more than an hour.

I actually shot in 3, this past weekend.....though that will NOT be the norm.

2 shops within 15 minutes of me with indoor ranges.....and they put on NO leagues....and haven't had a 3D since the season ended. I can't explain why.....because there's no reason.

I think we'd have good leagues here.....if someone were willing to run them. I'm betting Matt/TN's shop does a WONDERFUL business......party due to the leagues they put on. I'm wondering how much business it brings in for them?????
Old 01-31-2008, 03:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

Very pouplar here where I live. I haveat leasta half dozen 3D shoots within 30 minutes of my house..... Within an hours drive probably 2.5-3 times that.

I can also think off the top of my heada dozen shops / archery retailers with in 40 or so minutes.... With quite a few just beyond that.....

We have two Ibo National level shoots around here also... One just less than an hour away and one just over an hour....

It seriously seems yousee a deer 3D target or bag target in every other yard around here.
Old 01-31-2008, 04:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

Atlas, we don't live that far apart, but there are at least 4 ranges within 30 minutes of me that have leagues and shoots ... you prolly have been to some or all of them ..... I'm not sure exactly where in WNY you are, but the ones I'm thinking of are in; Springville, Fredonia, Kenmore, Buffalo .... I think there are at least 3 more up north in Tonawanda, Niagara Falls, etc.
Old 01-31-2008, 05:05 AM
Dominant Buck

There aren't enough people living here to make any thing popular. LOL
Old 01-31-2008, 05:26 AM
Host of Hosts

I'm not sure exactly where in WNY you are, but the ones I'm thinking of are in; Springville, Fredonia, Kenmore, Buffalo .
I'm about 40 miles from the Fredonia range. Always call ahead if you go there. I drove from work one day when he was supposed to be open and he was closed. That sucked driving all the way up there for nothing.
Old 01-31-2008, 06:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

This is gun country here. The closest shop that has a range is about 40 miles away. There is a range in town with a legue but no 3d.
Old 01-31-2008, 06:09 AM
Boone & Crockett

My local Gander Mt has a range with both indoor paper and 3D at certain times, after that it's traveling over 30 minutes to find one. There is however a 3D shoot every Sunday through the year somewhere. There is also a 3D range open year round about 15 minutes from me but he doesn't have indoor. There is another about 45 minutes from me that has 3D and paper year round indoor.
Old 01-31-2008, 06:15 AM

This is the reason I just built my own 3d deer range in my yard at the house.There areshots from 10yds to 50 yds and its a pretty good course as well. At least thats what a few of my friends think.
Old 01-31-2008, 06:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

There is alot of intrest in my area but unfortuanant for me, i live way out in the boon docks (not that it is a bad thing )and like you would have to travel a good distance to be in a league, i have some 3-d fairly close. Drive over to the G2G and shoot some 3-d with us this year Atlas, and hang out for a couple days.

Quick Reply: How popular is archery where you live?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.