Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

DL too long?

Old 01-30-2008, 02:48 AM
Dominant Buck

Default DL too long?

Seems that almost everyone who posts photos of their "form" (archery-wise) ......gets told their DL is too long.

Why is this? Are the US archery shops just this bad at determining DL? Is it that archers lie about this like men lie about their height?

Why is everyone overdrawn?
Old 01-30-2008, 06:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: DL too long?

Ive notice that to with alot of the form posts! And alot of them its really noticable! Not sure why that is?
Old 01-30-2008, 07:24 AM

everyone wants to shoot faster, faster faster than everyone else. Most can get away with drawing an extra 1 to 1.5" long and picking up 10-15 FPS in the process. Also 29" bows are the most popular and I think sometimes proshops incorrectly push these on the customer whether they fit or not. It's a shame but that seems to be the case alot of the time.
Old 01-30-2008, 07:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

They get told this because most everyone that is an "internet" coach is under the impression that if the string is behind the eye, they are long. It's the cool thing to say when someone asks "whats my form look like". [8D]

What really matters is the geometry of that persons form. Where is the back elbow both vertically/horizontally in comparison to the nock? Where is the front shoulder? Is there a solid foundation? Is the head leaned forward or back, preventing one from using back muscles to hold their form?
Old 01-30-2008, 04:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Rick James

They get told this because most everyone that is an "internet" coach is under the impression that if the string is behind the eye, they are long. It's the cool thing to say when someone asks "whats my form look like". [8D]

What really matters is the geometry of that persons form. Where is the back elbow both vertically/horizontally in comparison to the nock? Where is the front shoulder? Is there a solid foundation? Is the head leaned forward or back, preventing one from using back muscles to hold their form?
EXACTLY,I have seen alot of people told they were too long and there wasn't much of a way to tell with the form being demonstrated.I even saw a "coach" tell a guy he was over 2" long on draw and when he got his form right,he was about a 1/2" long.as I had suggested from the beginning.
Old 01-30-2008, 04:53 PM
Typical Buck

The reason my DL was too long when I asked for help on my form was because I bought my bow at walmart about 15 years ago and I have been shooting it ever since.
Old 01-30-2008, 06:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Why is everyone overdrawn?

Because the kids taped the checkbook at x-mas.
Old 01-30-2008, 07:18 PM
Typical Buck

I think that some dealers will lie to sell a bow. My first bow I bought used from a dealer. He measured and told me my draw was 32", and being 6'4 I believed it. Well, it just so happened he had one heck of a deal for me on a used bow that was set up for 32". Well, shortly after my left arm got cut off by string slap I took it into my current bow shop, and they determined I had as 29.5". Boy what a deal I was made on that bow. Needless to say, the shop that sold it to me closed down. I guess he couldn't find enough guys with a draw as long as mine.
Old 01-30-2008, 08:17 PM

Mine isn't... But I set my bow up myself when I bought it.

Lots of shops go by what their customer tells them that they're draw length is rather than actually measuring it themselves. I see a lot of it here in Spokane. I measured every customer regardless of what they came in telling me it was. 75% of them were wrong.
Old 01-30-2008, 08:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Washington Hunter

Mine isn't... But I set my bow up myself when I bought it.

Lots of shops go by what their customer tells them that they're draw length is rather than actually measuring it themselves. I see a lot of it here in Spokane. I measured every customer regardless of what they came in telling me it was. 75% of them were wrong.

How did you measure them?

Quick Reply: DL too long?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.