Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Another Rage post, thinking out loud.

Old 01-29-2008, 10:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Another Rage post, thinking out loud.

ORIGINAL: gmil6184

Everyone Raging about Rage heads (heh heh see what i did there?) has me thinking about looking at them for this upcoming bow season but i was wondering if anyone could tell me how they hold up to practice? I assume you guys use at least one BH for a practice head, how do they hold up to being shot into targets, pulled out and shot over and over again? just curious...Nice pics, that one of the heart is gruesome
They come with one practice head that doesn't open. You can also buy a 3 pac of practice heads for $20.00.
Old 01-29-2008, 11:11 PM
Typical Buck

Oh, that makes sense, cause i was thinking with one of those broadheads opened up inside a target that has got to be a pain in the hindquarters to pull out without ruining the head, plus they would prob chew up a target pretty fast.
Old 01-30-2008, 06:33 AM
Typical Buck

The Rage practice head flies just as true as the real blade also. I figured it out after 5 shots with each, and just stuck with the one practice blade afterwords. Just waiting now to get replacement blades, even though I haven't been looking real hard.
Old 01-30-2008, 09:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have them and am planning on using them exclusively next year. I am concerned with them opening though, especially when stalking after elk and mulies. Where do you put the orthodontist rubber band to keep them shut?
Old 01-30-2008, 09:10 AM
Dominant Buck

Where do you put the orthodontist rubber band to keep them shut?
I don't use one HS.....but if you did....the place would be very evident to you when you looked at the head.
Old 01-30-2008, 09:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Where do you put the orthodontist rubber band to keep them shut?
I don't use one HS.....but if you did....the place would be very evident to you when you looked at the head.
Actually, I've found that the best place to put the band is VERY close to the front. If you put it where the blades meet in the middle, it makes it harder to open, and also makes it easier to accidentally cut them if you bump the head on something.

Old 01-30-2008, 09:19 AM
Dominant Buck

Makes perfect sense when I see the photo, Matt. Also makes it less "travel" for the band to come off when the blades deploy.

Great photo.
Old 01-30-2008, 09:22 AM
Typical Buck

are the bands necessary or just recommended?
Old 01-30-2008, 09:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: gmil6184

are the bands necessary or just recommended?
I don't think they are necessary. I used them for an entire year without bands, and honestly never had a problem. I think of the band as an extra little confidence booster though for me, I know it's never going to open on me prematurely with that extra band. It now has the positive blade retention qualities of the Snyper, with the cutting diameter of the Rage. Win/win in my book.

Edit** If I didn't have access to these bands, I'd still use them.
Old 01-30-2008, 09:26 AM
Dominant Buck

A real test will be using them on hogs or bear. Ive found lots of good mechanicals (good for deer that is), just dont penetrate thick animals worth a flip. Ive seen nothing but praise about the rage, so im curious how they will work on a thick skinned animal.

Quick Reply: Another Rage post, thinking out loud.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.