Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Which "LOOKS" better...Form, draw length

Old 01-29-2008, 08:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Which "LOOKS" better...Form, draw length

First I would stand relaxed and and pay attention to the how the shoulder look and feel,you should have the same posture when you are drawn as you do when you are standing relaxed.

Your shoulder needs to be loaded(bone to bone contact) but just enough so that it doesn't start to work up,just back.

Try and stick your arm out straight and then pull it back into the socket,relax the elbowand get the feel of that and even look at yourself in the mirror while doing this making sure it isn't coming up on you.Make sure you are standing up straight and I personally don't like the chin as low as you have it ,just seems to be uncomfortable and good shooting and comfort go hand in hand.

Just a place to start.
Old 01-29-2008, 08:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

I think Todd and I are pretty much in agreement on this one... Start with just getting comfortable standing straight up and down first, with your head centered directly above your neck -- and with your neck at a comfortable height, as he pointed out.

I'd use a mirror that was at head-height, too... not sure that headboard mirror on your bed will do you much good. Look at yourself in a mirror facing straight on, and then turn your head to the left, naturally (assuming you're right-handed). With you standing there totally relaxed, straight up-and-down, take a mental snapshot and try to remember how that feels. Try your best to duplicate that in both feel and look when you've got your bow in your hand at full draw.

Again... a place to start, but I too think that will solve some of the things you're seeing.
Old 01-29-2008, 09:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

I know it dont hapen over night but any better, am i on the right track? I felt like i was leaning foward...

Old 01-29-2008, 09:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

Atleast you are standing up straight and the feeling of leaning forward is what we all say at first,even I said that.

Look how the arm is going downhill from the shoulder.Do what I said about sticking the bow arm out straight as you can(without bow) and then pull the shoulder back into the socket and relax the elbow.Then try to repeat it with the bow drawn.

AND,get a shorter release or shorten the one you have if you can.
Old 01-29-2008, 09:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

Forget the peep is on the bow for the time being,you will have to move it when your form starts to get lined out.
Old 01-29-2008, 09:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

I told you you were going to feel like you were leaning forward...

And Todd's spot-on with the release comment as well; you need to take a couple inches off the length of that barrel, but I doubt that release has that much adjustability built into it. It'd be great if it did.

Get the shoulder right, keep working on standing up straight as you're doing now, and take up all the excess out of that release (if you look at the last pic of where my hand falls on my release in my d-loop thread in the tech forum, you'll see how much closer you can be), and I bet you'll be able to quit anchoring in mid-air too.
Old 01-29-2008, 10:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ill keep posting as long as yall feel like helping i really appreciate it... \

I shortened the release i felt like i was leaning foward while aiming at the sky[8D]lol

Old 01-29-2008, 10:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

You look very relaxed in the first of the 2.Actually looks pretty good.

I think you are still using the kisser and peep,forget they are there for now.

The second,you have the shoulder up and not loaded at all from what I can see,just the arm extended.

Now we can start to add a few more changes,your feet look to be too close,they need to be shoulder width for form practice and you seem to be very open.Point the back foot at the camera and if you like the open stance,then pull the front foot back and point it at a slight angle away from the camera.

Go ahead and relax the hand around the grip,do not hang on to or grab the grip,just relax the fingers around it or to the side of it,just get them relaxed.NOT POINTED
Old 01-29-2008, 10:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Battery went dead on my camera... Ill keep working and updating. That way when Rob gets down here in person ill have a head start, thanks for the time yall. I appreciate it.
Old 01-29-2008, 10:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

Are you at the 27 1/2 draw in the last 2 pics?

Quick Reply: Which "LOOKS" better...Form, draw length

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.