Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

media sensationalism strikes again

Old 01-29-2008, 05:20 AM
Typical Buck

Default media sensationalism strikes again

On the ticker at the bottom of my tv just now on nbc, it just read, "Hunters in new jerseys' southern mountain reservationwill start shooting whitetail deer in hopes of controlling their population." Why is this news and why would they find that so important as to scroll it across the bottom of my tv?
Old 01-29-2008, 05:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: media sensationalism strikes again

Becasue more people watch the news than anything else in the morning and as far as i know there was no hunting allowed in that region of the state. this makes national news so the state can bring in new revenue from out of state hunters.
Old 01-29-2008, 05:28 AM
Typical Buck

Thats one take. Me being the scinic? that I am see it as a call to all the antis out there to unite and protest. As far as bringing in revenue, I would imagine it would probably be a select few hunters that are allowed to participate in a "cull" type season. They usually like to use the word "sharpshooters", and they're usually residents of said state in question. JMO.
Old 01-29-2008, 09:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

It is a campain year and depending on what channle you were watch (ie, anything other that Fox ) would be a hidden message to the people against guns. Watch out people, be carefull who you vote for. Sure seems like alot of pollitians are gunning for our guns.
Old 01-29-2008, 10:32 AM

looqout 1 I heard NJ was allowing about 12 hunters to hunt there to help reduce the size of the herd. There was never any hunting on this state owned land and I believe there will be no revenue generated from this hunt. And yea dont you love how they call them " sharpshooters" it's a joke. But no doubt you will see the antis on the news protesting. Also I see you live in Westchester, I love to hunt in Westchester... Big Bucks but it is getting tough to find new spots and hold onto the ones you have.
Old 01-29-2008, 02:19 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: MarquetteMagnum

It is a campain year and depending on what channle you were watch (ie, anything other that Fox ) would be a hidden message to the people against guns. Watch out people, be carefull who you vote for. Sure seems like alot of pollitians are gunning for our guns.
Like those eight years we weren't allowed to hunt when Clinton was in office.

I agree that it is important for hunters to have the right to use hunting weapons, and to protect 2nd amendment rights where possible, but I think you're being a little paranoid. Also, while many news organizations have a liberal slant, there is no doubt that Fox has a conservative one. If you say a news organization is sending hidden messages, you must not be talking about Fox, because they don't hide theirs. Whether Republican Democrat, Martian or whatever, I don't think anyone who watches Fox News believes they are watching an unbiased source. You are watching a source that is biased the same way you are, don't try to preach it as the only news organization telling the truth.

I agree thatwe need to protect oursecond amendment rights, but that is why we elect senators, congressmen, state legislators, etc., and not just the President.

As far as the original post goes, i think people are reading a lot more into that newsscroll than itreally said. News organizations know that about 1 in 6 people hunt or shoot, so I doubt their trying to underminethat huge percentage of their viewership.

Old 01-29-2008, 04:09 PM
Typical Buck

Kmunny, watch the news right now. I dont think I was reading into it at all, just the facts. The protesters did show. How many saw it on the news.
Old 01-29-2008, 04:53 PM
Boone & Crockett

I beleive they are sharpshooter and not hunters. I heard it on a NJ radio station Friday that it was going to happen. NJ has a history of useing sharpshooters unlike Delaware where a program is in place to educate the hunters through different classes and declaire them "Master Hunters" to allow them in the Parks and whatnot to thin herds. I am part of this program.

Old 01-29-2008, 05:03 PM
Typical Buck

Thats a awesome program to be a part of. Probably opens up a lot of semi-public land to hunt. Just saw that 12 "sharpshooters" killed 15 deer in NJ.