Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Newbie Bow = Fully Setup Used or New Top of the Line?

Old 01-28-2008, 08:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Newbie Bow = Fully Setup Used or New Top of the Line?

I'm contemplating getting a bow to harvest some does on my property next year (see my post on whether bow hunting vs. gun hunting = less perceived pressure).

I see lots of bows for sale by folks who are selling them to get the new top of the line bows. I've been thinking this would be a cheap easy way to get into the dark side of the sport without breaking the bank and without having to research every single aspect of a fully setup bow. Bows like a Matthews SQ2 fully setup with arrows, a case, etc., etc. for $300ish including shipping.

When I buy golf clubs I always buy clubs that are 2 or 3 years old because they are usually 25% of the cost that they were when they were brand new even though they are still plenty good, they just are no longer "Top of the Line".

Can you use this same rationale for bows? I really don't think I want to go out and spend $1,000+ on a top of the line setup right now, but I could justify $300 - $400 for a decent used setup. I could afford a brand new top of line bow, but only if the 3 or 4 year old used bow is going to be dramatically poorer in performance and accuracy.

What is your advice?

Thanks, Nathan

Old 01-28-2008, 08:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Newbie Bow = Fully Setup Used or New Top of the Line?

Nope nothing wrong with a older, cheaper bow, You could even look at the New cheaper bows, I bought a Fred Bear Element Last year brand new for $250. It will kill just as many deer as a 2008 Bowtech General, but i became addicted and bout a used07 Allegiance(GMATT's bow). No comparison of the two, but the Element got the job done and did it good. If you think this is something you want to get into and you got the green stuff.... go for it, but if your just wanting to stick a few does and then hang it up, i dont think i would sink a lot of money into it. You can find newer used ones at great prices too. shop and shoot around and youll fall for one somewhere... and if you happen to fall in love with the cheap great shooting 2007 Bear Element i may can hook you up real soon(nice plug huh?)
Old 01-28-2008, 08:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Since you are new to bowhunting it would be better to go to a quality pro shop and have them set you up with a good bow that fits you and then get some arrows that fit your bow. There is much more to it than buying one and shooting it and that is where a good pro shop is worth its weight in gold. They can get you off on the right foot so that you will enjoy your experience from the get go and you won't get frustrated by something you don't understand.

With all that said I think used bows are a great way to go but maybe not for someone new to bowhunting. Couple things to consider. You don't get a warranty and, even if you trust the seller, you don't know what the bow has been through abuse-wise. Also, if you get one fully setup there will still be adjustments you have to make and you will need the hands-on advice of someone knowledgeable to make them. You will also need arrows that your bow will shoot "correctly" so you will need to get arrows with the correct spine, cut to the correct length, with the correct tip weight.

Old 01-28-2008, 08:27 PM

I recommend finding a used bow for starting up. You can find great deals on amazing bows with a little searching. You can even find really nice, brand new bows if you're lucky. I'd go out and shoot a bunch of differnt types of bows before deciding, each bow feels different.
Old 01-28-2008, 08:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

You would probably get an excellent deal, some guys change bows more than they change their socks!!!!!!!! I bought a used Hoyt in the 90's and killed a few deer with it! I say go for it! This is the time to do it to, with all the new stuff coming out, deals are there to be had!
Old 01-28-2008, 09:16 PM

Absolutely a used bow with everything. You can find some great bows and really good deals.
Old 01-28-2008, 09:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

How important is it to get a bow that matches my draw length vs. getting a good deal on a full setup and having a pro shop adjust it to my draw length?

I'm 6'2" with a very long torso (only a 32" inseam) so I'm guessing that my draw length will be pretty long.
Old 01-28-2008, 09:47 PM
Typical Buck

I see both sides.

I bought my first bow half because of the same reason you are thinking about buying one. I bought a new bow, but not a "higher end" bow. I fell in love with bow hunting and in the end wished that I would have went ahead and bought a "higher end" bow.

I see nothing wrong with buying used. Esp. if its a bow with DL mods. You can buy the bow and have it fitted to you just like a new one.

And as for the "no warranty" thats nottue either. If the bow isn't registered when its bought, theres no way they don't know that you weren't the orginal buyer. The only thing is that if you have to have warranty work then you will have to register the bow and the warranty "becomes yours". The last time I was in the local Mathews shop a guy came in and wanted to know why his bow wasn't registered when he bought it. The shop owner told him that he didn't register them unless the person asked. Just for this purpose. When you go to resale the bow.