Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How bad do you "need" to kill a turkey?

Old 01-28-2008, 04:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: How bad do you "need" to kill a turkey?

While I don't HAVE to kill a turkey, I am not good enough to repeatedly call them in to keep giving myself chances to take them with a bow. I tried it a few times without a blind. Called some in but couldn't get any shots. I'm back to the shotgun, because even with that, it is FAR from a given that I will get one. Especially now that my turkey time is going to be SEVERELY shortened [:@][:@][:@]
Old 01-28-2008, 05:26 PM
Typical Buck

I tried taking a turkey with a bow and W/O a blind for several years and never got it done. However with a Double Bull, it is fairly easy so long as you are at the right spot.

I agree with others that bow and blind vs run and gun are about the same in level of difficulty, and maybe the bow is a little easier in not getting busted as easy, but you still have to get a little closer and not as mobile as compared to run and gun, hence less opportunities.

But aymore I only hunt turkeyswith a bow but alwayswith a blind. I enjoy photography in the Spring and the blind helps with that immensely whether it be turkey, deer,songbirds or whatever I am photographing.

So do I have to shoot a turkey? No, but if that big tom comes by or can be called in..........
Old 01-28-2008, 05:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: jackflap

I tried taking a turkey with a bow and W/O a blind for several years and never got it done
Thats what I tried...and tried.... I can call them in all day long but w/o a blind, getting drawn and making a good shot....thats HARD.
Old 01-28-2008, 05:54 PM

This is going to be my first season using my bow to go after a turkey and I am pumped about it....that being said, i grew up carrying a shotgun into the woods and have taken many birds that way

I love bowhunting, true, but sometimes i also like havinga gun in my hands...ill be using both this year
Old 01-28-2008, 07:03 PM

I was actually more disapointed that I didn't stick a turkey last season than I was that I didn't stick a deer. [&:]

Old 01-28-2008, 07:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

I've honestly never had the opportunity to seriously turkey hunt. I'd love to do it, but I just don't have a very good spot to do so.
Old 01-28-2008, 07:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

When that big old gobbler puts on a show just out of range and won't come any farther. Then I NEED to kill THAT turkey. I am going to seriously try to take one with my bow this year. But ifhe make it a personal battle, HE MUST DIE ONE WAY OR ANOTHER!!!
Old 01-28-2008, 08:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Absolutely fair, Gus. I know you can hutn pheasants with a bow, too....lol....but I like shootin' 'em with a scatter gun!
I feel the same way! And can relate, both are fun!

Old 01-28-2008, 08:57 PM

Always heard the only thing dumber than a turkey was a turkey hunter [8D]
Old 01-28-2008, 09:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

I still like hunting with a shotgun and it does require less movement. Many places I hunt I tend to do a lot of running and gunning. I just dont see it being practical to move a ground blind every time I have to move. I do get more out of just being there than having to kill a bird. Last year was fantastic for me, I called in a bunch of long beards even though the only bird I put down was a jake on opening morning. Also, I know that I shouldn't think this way, but in CT it costs me $100 for an archery license that comes with deer tags. It will cost me a bunch more for the turkey tags. I have a pretty good idea that I will be able to hunt deer in CT in the fall, but if for some reason the land I hunt deer is unavailable to me in the fall, the cost of the archery permit is a little excessive for the opportunity to maybe take a bird...

Quick Reply: How bad do you "need" to kill a turkey?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.