Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bow Press 101

Old 01-28-2008, 12:04 PM
Dominant Buck

Default Bow Press 101

OK....I think I'm gonna like this archery thing.[8D]

So....I need to learn to do my own tinkering. My shop owner is moving his shop and he will not have a range at his new location. I've always had the luxury of living 2 mi. from my shop.....and the luxury of shooting indoor 3D while I waited for arrows to be repaired or to have something done to one of my bows. That's gone.

So......Fletching....I can figure out on my own.

For the rest....I think a press is in my future. The one Greg/MO posted up the other day looks awesome.

I've just heard a few too many horror stories about bows blowing up and breaking. Is this happening to only used bows?

COMPLETE bow press novice.......seeking advice. If you were me.....would you get one? I can drive 6-7 miles even after my guy moves and have him make adjustments. But....I don't think I'll ever feel really good until I become self-sufficient.

Big investment, no doubt.
Old 01-28-2008, 12:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Bow Press 101

Jeff, if you want to make a minimal investment to start with -- and have one that you can carry with you to 3d shoots (as I know you're looking to heavily get into those as well), I'd highly suggest as a first press the "Bowmender" or whatever name it's being called under its new ownership. Bowtech Dave is making them under "license" from WWAG, and his thread is in the Review Forum, if I think... something like $80 and it'll press every bow you've got currently, including your 82nd (it's what I used to set mine up.)

Even if you want to get a full-sized, permanent-mount press later on, you'll still appreciate the little portable Bowmender and the benefit of taking it with you. I pack mine along on our elk-hunting trips to Colorado; it'll easily fit behind a truck seat.
Old 01-28-2008, 12:11 PM
Fork Horn

Bows can break if pressed improperly, but bowpresses really aren't hard to use at all. Your best bet would probably be to have your shop owner show you how to do it properly. IMO it is much easier to learn by doing or watching someone do it.
Old 01-28-2008, 12:13 PM
Site Bouncer

Jeff,

I use the portable kind that uses a cable to compress the limbs. It's really all I need to make quick adjustments to my bows. The only downfall to them is they take a little longer to press and you still need to support the bow in order to work on it. The up side is they are extremely portable and you can takeit with youwhen you travel.

If you're looking for advise on the larger bench mounted ones I'll have to defer to those "in the know"
Old 01-28-2008, 12:16 PM
Site Bouncer

Here's whatI use...http://www.prototechind.com/
Old 01-28-2008, 12:20 PM
Dominant Buck

Thanks, guys.

Hey Greg.....(and BigJ).....

If I were to get either one of those......could I press it in one of those little "arm" thingies (like a treestand bowholder) that attaches to a workbench......so that it's "pressed" in a vertical position? Seems like that would be convenient when installing a peep.

Thanks, again.
Old 01-28-2008, 12:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

Jeff, If you are really going to get serious about archery then getting a press is a great idea. They really are not that complicated to use and a little common sense goes a long way. The Bowmender is a great start like Greg suggested. If you decide later the Last Chance is something you need you can always get one down the line and you still will have a take any where with you press in the Bowmender

Dan
Old 01-28-2008, 12:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

Jeff, I don't think you'll be able to put your bow in a vise and press it simultaneously, and frankly see no need to... It's a simple matter of marking where your peep needs to go, and then pressing it and slipping it in even if it's lying vertically.

It will help you to buy a nice vise later on too, though.. to assist you with your initial bow setup (I think I've got a thread on that too over in the tech forum, and you can see how I utilize my press for that purpose in that one), as well as doing other things later on.
Old 01-28-2008, 12:47 PM
Dominant Buck

Thanks, to all
Old 01-28-2008, 01:10 PM
Boone & Crockett

I also agree Jeff, with the Airborne a Bowmender is all you need to do what you need to do. I also have one.

Quick Reply: Bow Press 101

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.