Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Coming Soon to YOUR State

Old 01-28-2008, 11:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Coming Soon to YOUR State

I think the problem with this bill, is that like most, it is filled with propaganda to exploit the public and sway a vote from uninformed voters.

I think we’d all agree that shooting an animal in a cage isn’t hunting. But where do you draw the line on size of property that is fenced? And how do you define fenced? Three strands of barbed wire with openings? Three strands of barbed wire with no openings? 4’ chain link? 6’ chain link? 8’ chain link? 8’chain link with three strands of barbed wire? White picket fence?

As posted above, Fort AP Hill has 87,000 acres. I haven’t hunted there but I’ve driven past two sides of it (route 17 & route 2) and they both have 8’ high chain link fence with barbed wire on top. Given the size of the property, I wouldn’t call it canned hunting. But some of you may…
Maybe I should join next year… only $50!
Old 01-28-2008, 12:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Killer_Primate

I think the problem with this bill, is that like most, it is filled with propaganda to exploit the public and sway a vote from uninformed voters.

I think we’d all agree that shooting an animal in a cage isn’t hunting. But where do you draw the line on size of property that is fenced? And how do you define fenced? Three strands of barbed wire with openings? Three strands of barbed wire with no openings? 4’ chain link? 6’ chain link? 8’ chain link? 8’chain link with three strands of barbed wire? White picket fence?

As posted above, Fort AP Hill has 87,000 acres. I haven’t hunted there but I’ve driven past two sides of it (route 17 & route 2) and they both have 8’ high chain link fence with barbed wire on top. Given the size of the property, I wouldn’t call it canned hunting. But some of you may…
Maybe I should join next year… only $50!
Truth
Old 01-28-2008, 12:13 PM

preacher tony..give alittle time and i will post links. i read most of it a while ago. but the disease rates, i think came out of F&S.
Old 01-28-2008, 12:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: WVSPORTSMAN

preacher tony..give alittle time and i will post links. i read most of it a while ago. but the disease rates, i think came out of F&S.
WV ... that right there would be a GREAT arguement againsthigh fenced hunting .....IMO, it would be the ONLY arguement....and again, I would not and have not hunted that way .... but to each his own...
Old 01-28-2008, 02:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

iwill post more as i find them. and keep in mind some of these articles are a little dated. cwd research is on going and new info is out all the time.
here is a link talking about thefirst cwd case being found in canada's elk herd due to the selling of infected animals from the usa
http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/EID/vol10no6/03-1082.htm
here is a link talking about cwd in soil types
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2006/04/060414013751.htm
I just wanted to post these on the original thread ..... I am having a hard time seeing where high fences CAUSE CWD in these articles ..... but I'm still looking ...
Old 01-28-2008, 02:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: PreacherTony

ORIGINAL: Cougar Mag

Maybe I'm not reading that right but if I am.....I am all for it.
So you would ban high fence hunting???

I ask this not as one that has hunted that way, nor would I want to, but I will fight for those that want to hunt that way .....

Am I reading this wrong???
Is there such a thing as Low Fence Hunting?? Do they put Chicken wire up around some places?

Ryan.
Old 01-28-2008, 03:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: my7pointmonster

ORIGINAL: Cougar Mag

Maybe I'm not reading that right but if I am.....I am all for it.
So you would ban high fence hunting???

I ask this not as one that has hunted that way, nor would I want to, but I will fight for those that want to hunt that way .....

Am I reading this wrong???
Is there such a thing as Low Fence Hunting?? Do they put Chicken wire up around some places?

Ryan.
Ryan ...... what's your point?
Old 01-28-2008, 06:54 PM

iwill post more as i find them. and keep in mind some of these articles are a little dated. cwd research is on going and new info is out all the time.
here is a link talking about thefirst cwd case being found in canada's elk herd due to the selling of infected animals from the usa
I just wanted to post these on the original thread ..... I am having a hard time seeing where high fences CAUSE CWD in these articles ..... but I'm still looking ...
I never said CWD was caused by high fence hunting, it just increasesthe spread across states faster from the selling of untested infected animals. The one article refers to Canada'sElk herd, and how after an investigation, thesource of the CWD outbreak in that particular area was from infected animals from the US that were shipped to theElk ranch.

The more recent one Ipostedfrom Field and Stream has very good information in it that's worth reading.

Earlier I stated I would try to find the articles I was referring to, but was unable to find the original ones, but found similar that may be of interest. As I said before, it has been quite some time since I read them.
Old 01-28-2008, 07:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

I never said CWD was caused by high fence hunting, it just increasesthe spread across states faster from the selling of untested infected animals. The one article refers to Canada'sElk herd, and how after an investigation, thesource of the CWD outbreak in that particular area was from infected animals from the US that were shipped to theElk ranch.

The more recent one Ipostedfrom Field and Stream has very good information in it that's worth reading.

Earlier I stated I would try to find the articles I was referring to, but was unable to find the original ones, but found similar that may be of interest. As I said before, it has been quite some time since I read them.
WV .... very interesting stuff, and your right about that Field and Stream article http://fieldandstream.blogs.com/news/2007/05/special_feature.html ......kinda scary ....Onieda county is only 3 hours or so from me ..... I think it's real close to Atlas??