Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What size broadheads?

Old 01-27-2008, 06:05 PM

Default What size broadheads?

I just bought new Easton ST Epic arrows, and I'm wondering what I should do about broadheads? What do you all prefer, heavy 125 gr. for more impact energy? Or, lighter 75(ish) gr. for faster speed? The last few years I have used Snuffer 125 gr.fixed blade broadheads and have been successful and happy with the results. (80 yds was farthest they went.) I was going for the hard hitting impact at closer range. But I've been debating whether to go to a lighter broadhead for flatter trajectory and more accuracy farther out. Just something to toss around, whether lighter broadheads are seen as just as effective as a heavier one.
Old 01-27-2008, 06:10 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: What size broadheads?

I shoot the Rage head because it's devastating. If they made it in a 125gr head....I'd shoot it. They don't.

I'm all for shooting the heaviest HUNTING arrow your setup will allow......and why not?
Old 01-27-2008, 06:29 PM
Boone & Crockett

100 grain Snypers, they make a 125 grain too.

100 grains seems to be a perfect all around weight for all the setups I've had. Nothing wrong with going heavier but keep that in mind when you decide on arrows. Your spine will change with a heavier head and that may put you into a different arrow to match your setup.

Old 01-27-2008, 06:35 PM
Fork Horn

If you already have the arrows, you may be limited by their spine as to which head you can get to fly well.
Old 01-27-2008, 06:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ive always shot 100 grain. They seem to keep my 400 grain arrows shooting straight and have blown through most anything I have shot.

Old 01-27-2008, 06:57 PM
Typical Buck

I tend to split the difference and shoot 100 grains, but i know some guys who shoot fixed blades use the smaller heads because they don't plane as much on longer shots and if you put them in the vitals it doesn't make a difference if your broadhead is 75 or 125, they aren't going far. Some guys like the mechanicals because they don't plane as much when they are all folded up, and on impact they give you plent of cutting diameter still. Some times getting a broadhead to fly right might mean having to change your fletching. The pro at my bowshop hates the short blazer veins because he claims that they throw a field point great but once you put that big broadhead on there they don't fly worth a darn. He got me using 4 and 5 inch feather fletching and they seem to fly pretty good with everything i tried. Just another option to think about
Old 01-27-2008, 07:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Im going light and fast this year! I will be shooting easton lightspeed arrows 500 spine and a 57 gr. rocket expandable head!
Old 01-27-2008, 07:29 PM

I use gold tip arrows with Montec G5 100 fixed blades. Being new, I've only shot at 2 animals and passed through both with no problem. both shots were inside 20 yards. One consideration is the type of terrain you hunt. If it's very brushy like the areas I hunt, flat-shootin' seems best even though the shot distance is shorter.
Old 01-27-2008, 07:33 PM
Typical Buck

I like to shoot 125's to get more of an omph on impact. They have always worked well for me.
Old 01-27-2008, 07:43 PM
Typical Buck

I use 100 grain G5 Montec's they are a good middle man between 125 and 75, they tore right threw a does backbone spliting it in half so it has the best of both worlds.

Quick Reply: What size broadheads?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.