Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What size broadheads?

Old 01-27-2008, 07:50 PM

Default RE: What size broadheads?

I have 100 and 85 grain in my tackle and if I change any thing I will put on 3 arrows with 100 and 3 arrows with 85 gr. thunderheads. I go out and see with groups the best for my set up at long and short distance. The last two years the 85 grain have been grouping the best for me on my 400 axes. As far as penetration I have been blowing through every thing I shoot. I blowed through a bull elk once with a 85 gr. broadhead and a 390 gr. arrow at 40 yards. I shoot a short arrow at about 28 1/4 inches with Blazer vanes and thats is way I think the lighter point are grouping better for me and do a great job on the game I take with all pass through s
Old 01-27-2008, 08:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot 125 gr. Razorbak 3. Have for along time.
Old 01-27-2008, 08:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

It thinks it's all a matter of personal preference, make sure your spine is a match, and go with what you like and flies best for you. Start out with a hand full of FP's, and see what flies best with your arrow, then look at that weight of BH.

TFOX probably will have some good input here, I'mwaiting for his response.
Old 01-27-2008, 09:44 PM

If you are sat on weight of a broadhead and really want to have it working at it's best. Shoot it over a chronograph turn each limb down a 1/4 of a turn and see if you gained speed if so another 1/4 off a turn until it level out are in some cases starts getting slower. Find the top speed of the arrow your shooting and that's what we call the sweat spot for that arrow with that weight of tip. I sat all my 3D bows up that way to get the best performance out of a arrow and the bow.
Old 01-27-2008, 10:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

A lot of things come into play building a great hunting arrow, spine, weight, FOC, etc. I will not shoot an arrow with broadheads that has less than 12% FOC and I actually prefer 15% or better. IMHO I think most people are shooting too light of an FOC for several reasons. Too light of a broadhead is only one. There are a lot of ways to increase FOC, but the ultimate choice is up to the individual. The FMJ's I used in Dec. on my NE. hunt had an FOC of slightly over 20%

You talk about something that flew straight and hit hard. Wow!!

I have lighter arrows I will continue to use that only have like 12.2% FOC but those FMJ's will get a lot of use

Dan