Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

API Climbing Treestand Help

Old 01-27-2008, 01:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default API Climbing Treestand Help

Hey guys, a buddy of mine asked me to post this. Please give him a hand with some information on this.

I just received my new chains from API. I have the older version stand where you must replace the plastic inserts in the aluminum tubing. I was wondering if anyone has replaced these in their API and if so did it work out OK or were there any problems during or after installation(ie. does the new chain now rub on the metal tubing or are the new inserts loose...)

Input would be appreciated before I tear the old inserts out. Thanks
Old 01-27-2008, 02:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: API Climbing Treestand Help

I haven't replaced my chains, but I have replaced the plastic bushing with my old chains with no problems. Since then I modified the chains as many have using plastic tubing. Instead of the shrink wrap provided with the chains, get regular plastic tubing at home depot and cover them. When doing this, you need to remove the plastic bushings from the stand. This tubing has lasted several seasons and there's no sign that it will wear thru anytime soon.
Old 01-27-2008, 03:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

RIStrutStopper, thanks for the input. Do you have some pics of what you've done? I'd like to forward the idea to my friend. He's pretty handy so if he saw what you did he could probably do the same thing if he wanted to.

Thanks.

Any other input is greatly appreciated.
Old 01-27-2008, 07:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think I may still have the post with detailed instructions and pictures saved at work. I'll check tomorrow and get you the info if I have it. If not, I'll take some pics of my stand and get them to you.
Old 01-27-2008, 08:35 PM
Spike

I replaced my chains on my API Grandslam this year and I had to change the plastic inserts in order for my new chains to fit right. My old inserts was in good shape so I wanted to reuse them but the new chains wouldnt fit. Removing the old inserts was a pain but other than that no worries.
Old 01-28-2008, 06:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

HuntingBry, check out this link. This is the procedure I followed to replace my tubing. This was done to an older set of chains. I hope it can help your friend out. http://www.guncustomizing.com/API-Treestand.htm
Old 01-28-2008, 09:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

Great info RI...I have 2 APIs and I love them...But the chains have camo duct tape along them because that shrink wrap stinks...Guess I'll pull them out and give them a good Spring cleaning when I get a chance...Thanks...
Old 01-28-2008, 09:44 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: rotorhead

I replaced my chains on my API Grandslam this year and I had to change the plastic inserts in order for my new chains to fit right. My old inserts was in good shape so I wanted to reuse them but the new chains wouldnt fit. Removing the old inserts was a pain but other than that no worries.
I also replaced my chains, Had to install the new inserts because the chain didn't slide into old inserts. Used a hammer and chisel to tape old ones out, then insert new ones. Had to re-drill holes for new inserts. ( new chains and inserts wouldn't work with old holes. ) Once done works great. I love my API