Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Deer #s

Old 01-26-2008, 09:19 PM
Fork Horn

Default Deer #s

This time 1 year ago, my wife called me and told me that she just saw ~100 deer in a field ~10 miles south of our home. I told her that she was crazy. After the third time that she told me, I decided to take a drive. I counted into the 160s over a 1/2 mile. This was definitely the most that I ever saw in my life. Well, I decided to head to a new indoor range down in that direction and on my way back, I decided to head in that direction. I was in the 130s when a neighbor stopped to speak to me. He told me that this wasn't a really good evening. Usually, he sees #s near 300. Unbelievable. I asked him if anyone hunts and he told me that someone leases the land for farming. I am not sure what the hell they are growing but I am going to find out. The crazy thing is, I saw a ~120-130 near my house with both sides yet all of the deer that I could see did not have horns. Either they dropped or no doe hunting at all. Anyway, I am going to try to take a few pictures for everyone. Has anyone encountered #s like this before? By the way, I still think that MI population is on the decline and this is just some form of GREAT deer mgt.
Old 01-26-2008, 09:32 PM

Default RE: Deer #s

I know i've never seen that many at one time...that sure would be a sight
Old 01-26-2008, 09:42 PM
Fork Horn

It is amazing to me too. I am going to try to get some video and place it on Utube with a link here; however, I will have to be extra carefully that I don't tape any road signs for house #s
Old 01-26-2008, 09:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yes, This happens this time of year arround me also. It seems that most deer from what appears to be miles around will congregate at the best food source. I live in central wisconsin and I can go out any night around 5pm and count 200ish in two fields, every year.. Now,I have been on my land that i hunt several times this winter and only seen two or three tracks, 160 acres, not kidding. these fields are exactly 1 3/4 miles away from my woods as the crow flies. I have corn fields around my woods that get tilled under in the fall. the fields with all the deer, one is a corn field that did not get tilled under, and the other is a hay field.