Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bowhunting Turkey 101--novice questions

Old 01-26-2008, 09:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bowhunting Turkey 101--novice questions

ORIGINAL: Hunter_59

One thing I might add here is the broadhead. You may want to try the Gobbler Guillotine! This is a very large broadhead intended for turkeys. Shooting a turkey with a bow is very difficult due to the size of the vitals. They are tough birds and unless the shot is perfect you may lose him. My son shot a jake last fall and made a "perfect" shot. In fact the arrow went right through the vitals but for some reason didn't put him down. We ended up searching and finally finding that bird over 200 yds. from the stand location. The Guillotine, I believe, is a much better broadhead for turkeys.
theu guillotine is a good broadhead..but for a begineer (unless you are very good shot with a bow) and have the confidence to be able to get a bird in to within 10-20 yards max....i would not recommend this broadhead as you are suppose to aim only at the head (perty small target, but it is very tough to git them when they are moving around or bobbing their heads)...any broadhead you use for deer will be just fine, IMO
Old 01-26-2008, 09:47 AM

As far as broadheads go....

The guillitine is a good one but I dont think you can take body shots with it (I could be wrong). Magnus just came out with a head called the "bullhead" Looks similiar to the guillitine but you can take body shots with it and it is a huge cutting diameter.

Read enough info and sooner or later you will come across the idea of not shooting a sharp broadhead for turkeys, reason being that you want to arrow to stay in the turkey making it harder for them to fly away. WELL DONT FOLLOW THIS ADVICE! Use a sharp head, like you should for every animal.If you use your regular deer head, I would suggest putting on an "adder point"behind the broadhead. It is basically a barbed collar and when your broadhead hits, this "adder point" creates drag giving you a greater chance of your head staying in the bird. You can find these on Cabelas website.

The rest of the advice given so far is excellent. As was stated, less is more, the biggest mistake people make is overcalling. Your the woman in this game, you play hard to get!
Old 01-26-2008, 10:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

THANK YOU all for going out of your way to help me out. I will keep this stuff as I prepare for the spring gobbler season.....I like the distance thing Greg, that type of stuff will help me out. I feel comfortable up to about 30 yards with my current bow. I will try it out. Probably going to be hunting behind some lay downs as I only have one ground blind and I cannot shoot real well out of it. This is going to be alot of fun! Again, thank you all for taking your time to give me great advice.

shadow
Old 01-26-2008, 02:25 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: virginiashadow

THANK YOU all for going out of your way to help me out. I will keep this stuff as I prepare for the spring gobbler season.....I like the distance thing Greg, that type of stuff will help me out. I feel comfortable up to about 30 yards with my current bow. I will try it out. Probably going to be hunting behind some lay downs as I only have one ground blind and I cannot shoot real well out of it. This is going to be alot of fun! Again, thank you all for taking your time to give me great advice.

shadow
I put mine 5 yds from my blind. I have had turkey's so close I could have grabbed them.

I put two sets at 5 and 1 at 15.