Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
Outfitter's are great, I only hunt with them.
0.98%
I can't stand outfitters.
12.75%
Outfitting is perfectly acceptable, but I don't use them.
50.98%
Outfitting costs way too much money for me
11.76%
I can't afford to use an outfitter so my hunting is limited.
2.94%
There should be a set limit on the amount of ground outfitted.
12.75%
Ive lost good hunting ground to outfitters
4.90%
I own an outfitter: My land, my rights, too bad.
2.94%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

What is your view on Outfitters?

Old 01-28-2008, 10:45 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: What is your view on Outfitters?

Well who would have a problem with outfitters if they get to hunt bucks like these for free? It's not like losing your hunting land had any effect on your hunting.
Old 01-28-2008, 10:45 AM
Typical Buck

My view is just like some of the others-- eventually, outfitting will run this sport into the ground.
Old 01-28-2008, 10:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: kevin1

Outfitting is acceptable to me, there are some places where you just shouldn't try to hunt without guidance, but I feel they should never get preferential treatment when it comes to licenses and tags. Stand in line like everyone else or tell your customers to apply for their own licenses well before they arrive and show them how to do it.
Good points Kevin. Unfortunately money talks ,and when money talks the politicians listen!!
Old 01-28-2008, 10:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

You all really think it is outfitters that are ruining this sport? You realize that without hunters they can't exist right? So, if hunting is being ruined, which I really don't think it is, then it would ultimately be the hunters who are at fault. Outfitters do nothing but offer a service.

Sure outfitters may have "forced" some of you off of lands that weren't yours anyway, but they also make it possible to hunt things like muskox, caribou in the northern reaches, etc.

Plus, if you think that the average outfitter is just rolling in money you are kidding yourself. Do you have any idea the expenses of setting up camps 150 miles from the nearest town? How about bringing horses to the remote parts of the Yukon or British Columbia? It is a crazy business and a lot of these guys really bust their hump.

Lastly, in Illinois, if it wasn't for the outfitters, your state would be a joke right now due to the horrible management that the state DNR has done. It has been the outfitters and private land owners keeping that state in the topslot for B&C whitetails.
Old 01-28-2008, 11:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: huntingson
Lastly, in Illinois, if it wasn't for the outfitters, your state would be a joke right now due to the horrible management that the state DNR has done. It has been the outfitters and private land owners keeping that state in the topslot for B&C whitetails.
Is that Right?

Dan
Old 01-28-2008, 11:12 AM
Super Moderator

Lastly, in Illinois, if it wasn't for the outfitters, your state would be a joke right now due to the horrible management that the state DNR has done. It has been the outfitters and private land owners keeping that state in the top slot for B&C whitetails.
Huh? Which is it in your opinion? Has to be one or the other.
Old 01-28-2008, 11:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: MeanV2

Is that Right?

Dan
I recommend that anyone check facts for themselves, but I have come across a number of articles in Deer and Deer Hunting, American Hunter, as well as a couple other major publications that have stated that the vast majority of B&C whitetails are coming from private lands because of poor practices by hunters and the DNR allowing too many bucks taken every year. Too many Joes are travelling to ILL thinking that they are going to kill a monster on public ground, but when it looks like they might go home empty they are waxing the next yearling that comes by.
Old 01-28-2008, 11:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

I don't think we had any Big Bucks here before the Outfitters started. I have no doubt what you say is true. Do you have any idea how much of the Prime hunting ground in IL. is now controlled by outfitters? Does put things in their favor.

Dan
Old 01-28-2008, 11:58 AM
Typical Buck

I don't think we had any Big Bucks here before the Outfitters started. I have no doubt what you say is true. Do you have any idea how much of the Prime hunting ground in IL. is now controlled by outfitters? Does put things in their favor.

Dan
Almost ALL of it!!
Old 01-28-2008, 12:01 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: huntingson

Is that Right?

Dan
I recommend that anyone check facts for themselves, but I have come across a number of articles in Deer and Deer Hunting, American Hunter, as well as a couple other major publications that have stated that the vast majority of B&C whitetails are coming from private lands because of poor practices by hunters and the DNR allowing too many bucks taken every year. Too many Joes are travelling to ILL thinking that they are going to kill a monster on public ground, but when it looks like they might go home empty they are waxing the next yearling that comes by.

And there's going to be alot more "Joe's" traveling to public land if the land keeps being bought up and outfitted- the public land is too crowded as it is. That's why I think there should be some kind of control over the amount of acreage allowed to be outfitted. Why do you think everyone gets pissed when businesses come in and make them move. Kinda comparable to walmart putting out all the little guys.

Quick Reply: What is your view on Outfitters?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.