Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
Outfitter's are great, I only hunt with them.
0.98%
I can't stand outfitters.
12.75%
Outfitting is perfectly acceptable, but I don't use them.
50.98%
Outfitting costs way too much money for me
11.76%
I can't afford to use an outfitter so my hunting is limited.
2.94%
There should be a set limit on the amount of ground outfitted.
12.75%
Ive lost good hunting ground to outfitters
4.90%
I own an outfitter: My land, my rights, too bad.
2.94%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

What is your view on Outfitters?

Old 01-29-2008, 10:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What is your view on Outfitters?

No greed here, just made the best of my situation and found others to helppayfor the activity thatwe enjoy. I am notweathly.I hopeyou can afford to buy yourself a good piece of hunting property some day and I hope you dont have to deal with people trying to run you off of something you worked hard for and earned. I am not in an area of outfitting so I dont deal with them. I do deal with people trespassing and poaching nice deer that club members and myself have passed on for years to reach maturity. It has slowed down in the past several years due toMr. Mehanical but the ethics of a few poor hunters has put a bad taste in my mouth. There is absolutely nothing wrong with permission hunting as long as the hunter respects the landowners rulesand Istate my definitionof the welfare hunter as the person who doesnt have permission to hunt a property just expects it and takes it upon himself to claim his spot.
Old 01-29-2008, 10:05 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: THWACK_007

ORIGINAL: englum_06

ORIGINAL: THWACK_007

I would absolutely love for you to tell me how one man/family is supposed to pay a farmer more than what an outfitting business can. Must have some pretty deep pockets or something.
You obviously dont know much do you? Outfitters lease many farmers land. They lease land for about $20-30 an acre. Are you telling me that is outrageous? I know of some prime spots that outfitters are leasing land for that price. So you dont know of 3-4 guys that wouldlease a 200 acre farm for $4000-6000 a year??
You can't tell me what is affordable. And yeah, you're right- I don't know of three guys thatcould pay $2,000 each to hunt. Maybe they would WANT to, but being ABLE to is a difference. Some people can't afford that. And even if they could, what would the other option be if the outfitter, like most would do, offered more than what the typical hunter can?

Well if I cant tell you what is affordable then I guess I cant answer YOUR original question! The majority of the people against outfitters are those wanting free, privately owned hunting grounds.

And by the way...I know many people that would $2000 a year for 200 acres of prime hunting and you would find many on this site that would!!
You must not have ever heard of a RHETORICAL QUESTION. Simply the facts are that you DON'T know me, you DON'T know what people's incomes are, you DON'T know what people's expenses are, you DON'T know what it's like to be preparing for a deer season and to then get a phone call saying that you've lost access to your best hunting area a month before the season, because it's been sold.
Old 01-29-2008, 10:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

[blockquote]
[/blockquote]

quote:

I love how maybe just because some people can't afford to pay to lease, that that makes them a poor excuse of a poaching redneck. Wow man you're way off base on that one.

If a farmers decides to lease his propertyhe ownsit and that is his right. A person who continues tosneak into a property that hedoes not havepermission to hunt and disruptsthe hunting of people who leased the ground is a POACHER! Yes, it sucks that hunting ground is hard to come by. I spent my first 8 years of hunting on a smallproperty that got pounded from every direction. I decided that if I wanted to take quality deer and have anice place to hunt in the futureI needed to do something about it and I did.
Old 01-29-2008, 10:44 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: IL_ray_phillips

[blockquote]
[/blockquote]

quote:

I love how maybe just because some people can't afford to pay to lease, that that makes them a poor excuse of a poaching redneck. Wow man you're way off base on that one.

If a farmers decides to lease his propertyhe ownsit and that is his right. A person who continues tosneak into a property that hedoes not havepermission to hunt and disruptsthe hunting of people who leased the ground is a POACHER! Yes, it sucks that hunting ground is hard to come by. I spent my first 8 years of hunting on a smallproperty that got pounded from every direction. I decided that if I wanted to take quality deer and have anice place to hunt in the futureI needed to do something about it and I did.
Yes, but you seemed to imply that I/we were sneaking onto properties and poaching. Is this what you were thinking?
Old 01-29-2008, 10:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

I refered to situations in my post of who I was talking about. I see you live in central IL but I dont think you are the individual/individuals that I was dealing with. So no I was not refering to You/and whoever we is! I got all fired up and should have made my post more clear. Ihave not had a problem with outfitters moving in and causing me problems. In the past I have had problems with people trying to run me off my leased and owned property. I have had people sneak in and hunt where they are not welcomed because they think they have a right to be there when they don't. All in all I have had more trouble with local numbskulls than outfitters.
Old 01-29-2008, 11:02 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: IL_ray_phillips

I refered to situations in my post of who I was talking about. I see you live in central IL but I dont think you are the individual/individuals that I was dealing with. So no I was not refering to You/and whoever we is! I got all fired up and should have made my post more clear. Ihave not had a problem with outfitters moving in and causing me problems. In the past I have had problems with people trying to run me off my leased and owned property. I have had people sneak in and hunt where they are not welcomed because they think they have a right to be there when they don't. All in all I have had more trouble with local numbskulls than outfitters.

I see. Well I hate that you have those issues. Here where I am we (me and my dad) are kind of the enforcers on the property we hunt. Believe it or not it's the neighboring outfitter that we have problems with. He thinks he has the right to hunt all of the neighboring land around him when he doesn't. It's too bad that the landowner we hunt on (the same guy who sold him the 100 acres) wants to stay a friendly neighbor and not turn him in. Our farmer doesn't hunt at all so he really doesn't know what goes on back in his woods other than what we tell him. We've had problems with him putting stands up on our side, bringing hunters over, and even using our stands. He seems to be a real piece of work though I've never met him and I don't ever plan on it.
Old 01-29-2008, 11:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have heard stories and ran into guys who have had bad experiences with outfitters putting them on property that was not theirs. I even let 3 guys form La. hunt on me a couple years ago because they got screwed by an outfitter in Richland county. I have met some really good guys who would send a client home for entering property not owned or leased by them. Itcomes down to an individual and ethics.
Old 01-30-2008, 02:18 AM
Super Moderator

I have a question. While I realize much of Shawnee National Forest is privately owned, I've heard rumors the state of Illinois leases some of Shawnee National Forest's public land to a few outfitters. Is this true?
Old 01-30-2008, 07:54 AM
Typical Buck

Ray,
I'm sorry if I took your post incorrectly, if what you are calling welfare hunters are indeed poachers I agree with you 100%. By the way, I have quite a few friends in the Flora area. I'm sure you know where Albion is, but it is about 30 south of Olney.
Old 01-30-2008, 08:23 AM
Spike

PUBLIC LAND!!!!!

If you need somewhere to hunt that you dont have to lease!
Plus my tax money is helping pay for YOU a place to hunt.

Since all of these a$$hole landowners are trying to make a little extra money and pay for their land then I guess you can go to PUBLIC LAND and hunt. What kind of landowner is dumb enough to try to pay for his land anyways?? Geeeez!!!
Come on people..get real! I mean whos fault is it that the landowner leased his/her land....the landowner or the outfitter/hunters?

Quick Reply: What is your view on Outfitters?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.