Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Dr Kroll "The next 25 years"

Old 01-26-2008, 08:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Dr Kroll "The next 25 years"

Here is the article for those who do not have access to it. Interesting to say the least.

Old 01-26-2008, 09:40 PM
Super Moderator

While I agree with most of what he wrote, he contradicts himself about EHD. First he shows alarm at the amount of states that EHD affected, then later on says EHD/BD and CWD will not exterminate the deer herds. IMO EHD may be nature's way of helping to control deer herds. He is right on about taking more does to keep populations down therefore helping keep the herds healthier. He is also right on that states need to work with private landowners and acquire more land so hunters have more access. I am sure he also knows that wildlife biologists in some states such as Illinois are somewhat handcuffed in their efforts due to state legislators that protect special interests in their districts.

I wonder what he thinks about private land management by the average Joe hunter on private land vs established deer hunting operations that seem to manage deer only for the big racks!

Old 01-27-2008, 08:56 AM
Boone & Crockett

John thx, but I was enjoying these guys making assumptions about this article
Old 01-27-2008, 06:34 PM
Typical Buck

Well, since you didn't put any of those cute little smiley faces in your quote I'm going to ASSume you were being serious. As far as your questions, yes, yes, and yes, but I do not claim to be a Dr. Kroll groupie so my knowledge of his history is somewhat limited. All I was trying to convey was that the deer herd seems to be doing fine(in general). There were only 500,000 of them and they had plenty of habitat at the turn of the century. Now there are 5,000,000 of them with a lot less habitat. Those are facts. What does it mean? Maybe they're highly adaptable, like rats. Where I live, there is a high population of deer, so much so that they give us unlimited doe tags, and lots of buck tags. The deer I harvest are all of good weight and health. There havebeen no cases of ehd or cwd in my area. I was merely asking a tongue in cheek question for thought. We all know that any talk of managing a deer herd by hunters or by landowners is for antler growth end result. Sorry to be so blunt but thats the truth like it or not. And before anyone jumps on with gospel, that last statement is meant "in general". Of course there are a few good souls who are doing it for the right reasons. Exception, not the norm though.
ORIGINAL: Germ

ORIGINAL: loogout1

Was the herd(in general)healthier when the deer numbers were around 500,000 and lots of habitat, or at 5,000,000 and less habitat? How do we know for sure? Did they do the type of studies back then that they do know? other than common sense, how do we know?
Have you ever read anything from Dr. Kroll? Do you know of him? His history?