Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Steering Deer with natural barrier materials

Old 01-25-2008, 06:46 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Steering Deer with natural barriers

Yep I agree Gregh.

I have a few friends who use the wire. I am planting a huge plot behind my funnel I made. We logged that woods out 6 years ago. The loggers left that trunk; so I cut trunk in half and dragged over with my guns[:-]
Old 01-25-2008, 06:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

The most I have ever done is hang dirty socks in certain areas to try and get the deer to move back around to my area....
Old 01-25-2008, 07:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

sounds like a good idea to me as long as its not to big
Old 01-25-2008, 07:21 PM

So fences are bad when people pay to have them steer animals their way but good when we do it ourselves?

And cornfields,apple trees, and food plots are not bait.

Interesting.
Old 01-25-2008, 08:15 PM
Site Buck Guru

ORIGINAL: Germ

so I cut trunk in half and dragged over with my guns[:-]

Germ has demanded respect!
Old 01-25-2008, 08:17 PM
Site Buck Guru

ORIGINAL: atlasman

So fences are bad when people pay to have them steer animals their way but good when we do it ourselves?

And cornfields,apple trees, and food plots are not bait.

Interesting.
Yeah Atlas,
My favorite way of doing this is to hire a crew of people to quickly install a high fence around a huge bucks bedding area while he's sleeping. That way I can go in at my leisure and hunt him.
Old 01-25-2008, 11:39 PM

ORIGINAL: GregH

Yeah Atlas,
My favorite way of doing this is to hire a crew of people to quickly install a high fence around a huge bucks bedding area while he's sleeping. That way I can go in at my leisure and hunt him.

No need to get all extreme

My point is that in fenced areas the only fence a deer knows and effects his movement is the one in front of him...........when he gets to it he either turns around or walks along it looking for an opening..........What happens when a deer gets to a fence in the woods??..........same thing right?

Old 01-26-2008, 03:30 AM
Site Buck Guru

Yeah Atlas,

My point is that in fenced areas the only fence a deer knows and effects his movement is the one in front of him...........when he gets to it he either turns around or walks along it looking for an opening..........What happens when a deer gets to a fence in the woods??..........same thing right?

Or they jump over it.

I guess that the point of this thread is that there are ways to place an obstacle on a deer trail in an effort to cause them to detour closer to your stand for whatever reason.

Another way to alter deer movement is to ( if you have permission) tie the top wire to the next wire down on a fence, creating a low spot. Very simple and extremely effective.

BTW, I thought you were being extreme with your comparison so I went one better.

Old 01-26-2008, 07:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

OK guys, you both need a Dink hug lay down your man cards for just a sec Atlas your first, come here, Greg your getting sloppy seconds [8D](i pulled names out of the hat) dont worry no ones looking

Yeah Atlas,

Old 01-26-2008, 08:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would suggest that there is a rather large difference between a "fence wall" or other barrierthat may be 20ft in lengthand a fence or other barrier that encompasses a given area. A wall may divert the direction of deer but does not restrict them from leaving the area entirely, if they so choose.

Quick Reply: Steering Deer with natural barrier materials

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.