Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Steering Deer with natural barrier materials

Old 01-25-2008, 12:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Steering Deer with natural barriers

When you scout, you look for natural funnels. This is just creating your own, so I say have a blast.
Old 01-25-2008, 12:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

John Eberhart talks about doing this very thing (natural barriers)when setting up locations during post-season.
Old 01-25-2008, 12:52 PM
Fork Horn

Sometimes ya gotta direct those deer to where you want them to go! Although deer like to walk through thick cover, they will sometimes walk the easiest route possible. If you put a huge log in their way, they may just go around it instead of leaping over it.
Old 01-25-2008, 12:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Happend to me accidently with fallen oaks, deer come within 10 yards now. Other spot with lots of tall grass and brush. I took my 4-wheeler and road up and down this spot till I had bare dirt. now I have a heavy trail, and the deer kept eating the new growth so I ended up with a long narrow food plot also.
Old 01-25-2008, 02:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

all righty then Grego [8D]natural materials for barriers are you happy now oh wise one [8D]
ORIGINAL: GregH

Using natural materials to build a barrier, it is still a man-made barrier.A natural barrier would be something like a sheer drop off like a cliff. Semantics aside, any barrier you use will work. It depends on how much work you are willing to doand if it is permissable for you to do. A couple of pros and cons..... Natural material barriers will blend in better and may be overlooked by humans. They will break down and become a non-factor for the deer.

A length of woven wire fencing will really funnel the deer and won't break down. This won't bother the deer at all, but it will catch the eye of humans and they may investigate the reason for its being.

Personally, if I could I'd use the fencing. If I was on public land I'd use natural materials.
Old 01-25-2008, 03:08 PM
Boone & Crockett

I myself like a STIHL man made funnel I did this one 5 years ago. Yes it works[8D]

Old 01-25-2008, 03:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

tell me more Germ, how long before season did you do this?? did they take to it pretty good? did you score?
Old 01-25-2008, 03:42 PM
Super Moderator

I agree with GregH. Deer are very attentive to things that change, especially mature deer. For instance if I trim tree limbs from my stand area I always try to make sure I distribute the freshly cut limbs away from trails. We are in their bedroom and they know it much better than we ever will.
Old 01-25-2008, 04:26 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: bloodcreek

tell me more Germ, how long before season did you do this?? did they take to it pretty good? did you score?
We did it in the winter, what you can not see is mess behind me.

I have shot 3 does in 5 years off that spot. Had a few bucks come by but no shooters. The biggest issue is I have not hunted it enough

Cougs I throw all my limbs in the river
Old 01-25-2008, 05:16 PM
Site Buck Guru

Germ, you made a heck of a barrier out of natural materials. However, it would be hard for some to get the landowners permission to do that. For people that hunt on someone elses land the wire fence idea is removable. It will also last longer than the logs. I like the logs too though.

Bloodcreek,
Have I ever seemed totally happy!!??[:-]

Iam very pleased though!

Quick Reply: Steering Deer with natural barrier materials

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.