Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

2008 Hoyt Katera

Old 01-25-2008, 09:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 2008 Hoyt Katera

ORIGINAL: mobow

Holy moly, I nearly just busted a gut!! You've got HOYT stamped in your signature, and your recommending a MATHEWS? Oh man that's just funny......

Why not just turn it down to 69?? I know what you mean, but a 70# bow's mass weight is the same as a 60.

Uh, there are some problems w/ short ATA bows as well, but we're not going to get into those. Look at the bows that Bowtech is offering this year. Some of the hottest selling bows around, and just look around the forums.....There must be 100 posts about them, and they aren't that short. So I'm not sure a 30 or 31" ATA bow is REALLY want the hunters want. Oh, I'm sure there are some that do, but far and away, I think not.
Yeah it is sad I'm sayin what I'm sayin but you dont see me shooting a mathews do ya, haha. I've never thought mathews had any edge on other companies till this year with the small bow, and with that edge they lose another edge to companies such as bowtech who seem to be dominating the longer ATA market. They have made an impressive bow and talking with a friend of ours whos owns a shop has had more sales this year on the DXT than any other bow he has ever sold at this time. I'm sure here in WI we are more subject to the mathews with the plant only being 40 miles from my house but this guy deals bowtech and others as well.......

As far as 60 and 70 lb bows thats not my point because the limbs are interchangable.My point was that if mathews has a bow that is 13-14 oz lighter than the katera at 70 lbs and hoyt has the kobalt at 3.1 lbs, 28in ATA, and up to 60lbs I'd think they could make a 70 lb bow that is 3.5 lbs and 29 or 30in ATA. Maybe they don't want to, maybe they do, I dunno, but I htink they will have one like this on the market next year.... I hope......

I know the problems with short ATAs andwhy guys shootreel long ATA bows but you don't see guys out in the woods with their big long target bows.I'm not interested in shooting 5 spotor anything which is the case with most bow hunters. They want a hunting bow and when I can kill a deer at60-70 yards with my havoc xt at 33 ATA and shooteven better wth a shorter bow I'm not to worried about the short ATA and will sacrifice that over other things. With newer and newer bows now days the ATA is having less and less affects on accuracy it seems. WCL
Old 01-25-2008, 09:59 AM

well me personally i cant shoot 60-70 yards in Ohio, heck i can only see 40 yds clearly. I love my havoctec but i just saw the new katera and it sounds like a nice bow. i have little interest in matthews, they seem jerky while drawing them " at least the black max" did when i was looking several years ago. I have not shot a matthews since i bought my bow, the same deal with bow techs just didnt feel as smooth to me. I will definately give most bow co. a chance for my business but in all likely hood it will be back to hoyt. I will probably keep the stabilizer, and sight and sell the rest. Keep the suggestions coming
Old 01-25-2008, 10:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah you cant compair bows now days to when you got your bow. They are completely different. I shot both next to each other and as far as mathews draw I think the DXT and Katera draw almost the same. Very smooth with a role over at the end. I thought both shot real similar however the Kat seemed to jump out of my hand forward a bit compaired to the DXT. Both very nice bows and shoot real similar I think. You'll be happy with the Katera no doubt and once you shoot it you'll want to throw that havoc away no matter how much you think you like it, haha. I know I did but I just cant bring myself to get a bow thats heavier than the one I shoot now, just not practicle to me for my hunting out west and such. WCL
Old 01-26-2008, 01:26 PM

is brace height still as important today for accuracyas it was 5 years ago or is all the "new" technology making the bows shoot alot more accurate with less brace height?