Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Virginia affirms Sunday bowhunt ban

Old 01-25-2008, 10:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Virginia affirms Sunday bowhunt ban

I could halfway see the argument about setting aside Sunday as a no hunting day on public lands----but I would still argue that the folks that hunt that public land have a right to it from not only paying state taxes, but also paying large fees for hunting/fishing licenses. The people who walk and jog/horseride on public lands pay nothing in fees, but us Virginians who hunt/fish are paying between $40-$60 to hunt/fish on a yearly basis.

Now on Private land, I don't see any legal reason to not allow it, other than the state trying to protect itself by not opening a crack in the law, where as once a precedent of Sunday hunting is allowed on private land, that now public land Sunday hunting would have more backing.

Old 01-25-2008, 10:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

The thing that gets me is that we can't hunt on Sunday here in NJ either, but pass by any liquor store on Sunday and its doors never close because there's so many people coming in and out getting beer and liquor for the football games. If I can't hunt on Sunday then maybe they shouldn't be able to buy beer on Sundays either. They don't want to hear that though.
Old 01-25-2008, 11:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Obviously the argument is bogus. Why do hunters have to take a back seat to people riding horses, people walking dogs, and hikers? Especially on private property.

On the other hand I thought I would like to have the law changed, butI don't. I like the no hunting on Sunday deal. It keeps the hunting pressure low and other hunters out and away from my privatespots. There are a couple bow hunters (they like to shoot spikes) that sneak onor setup right on the border. I like hunting Monday.
Old 01-25-2008, 03:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

Anti hunters plain and simple. Needs to be taken to a higher court.
Old 01-25-2008, 05:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

In Pa, you can gamble, shop, buybooze and get an "******" girl on Sunday, but you can't hunt. I don't get it!![:'(]
Old 01-25-2008, 05:48 PM

ORIGINAL: gzg38b

You guys make good points about religious freedom.

However, I think the real issue is about landowner rights on PRIVATE property. To me, that argument has the best chance of holding up in court.
Sorry but that one's not going to fly. Game is the property of the State and not the landowner. You can go target shooting on your property all you want on Sunday but you can't harvest the state's game. If you want to go that route tell them that if you can't hunt you're going to go plicking and put that much more lead and noise in the air for them to worry about.

Bowhunting on private property outlawed?! This is a classic case for some Henry David Thoreau-ian style Civil Disobedience if I ever saw one!
Old 01-25-2008, 09:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Kodiak,,,"Bowhunting on private property outlawed?! This is a classic case for some Henry David Thoreau-ian style Civil Disobedience if I ever saw one! "

If I owned private land I would be very disobedient about this matter
Old 01-26-2008, 05:22 AM
Boone & Crockett

We need the NRA to step in with the funds to back up a good lawyer.
Or find a good one that bowhunts and is willing to take up the fight on his own time.
Old 01-26-2008, 07:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: early in

In Pa, you can gamble, shop, buybooze and get an "******" girl on Sunday, but you can't hunt. I don't get it!![:'(]
I don't know about Pa but I know some about Va and this thread gives a good picture of the mentality there. Many there live under the impression that while the state is full of people and in some places over flowing, that they are only to be recognized when and if spoken to, and then they better jump. If the minions want anything it had better not infringe on them otherwise off with their heads. My brother lives in Prince William as a UPS driver and the stories he tells of what the people expect. It's a good thing he has a sense of humor.Wewere approached (that's putting it nicely) by a land owner there hunting a lease. Neither of us looks like the kind of person that anyone would feel comfortable getting in our face, but this King did.My brother handled it well, very military. We laugh about it.

The religious reasons often stated may have at one time been something, but not anymore. Needs to be taken to a higher court, but it could turn out the same since the judges most likely live in Va and ride around on their royal horses too.
Old 01-26-2008, 07:32 AM

Damn, Kodiak went an got literary on our ass!!! What's next Kodiak?? On Walden Pond?? Just kidin, I dig Henry too!!

Quick Reply: Virginia affirms Sunday bowhunt ban

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.