Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

A succesful hunt doesn't necessary mean a kill

Old 01-23-2008, 05:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default A succesful hunt doesn't necessary mean a kill

Today myself and DaveHbraved the coldand took to the Md woods with hope of getting an elusive late season Whitetail. I saw probably 15 deer or so and Dave saw 20 or more. We got down about 9:00 to do some exploring. About 11:00 I put my stand on my back and we headed back over to Dave'stree so he could pull his standdown.Before he climbs the tree we watch about 10 does amber off about 85 yards away.He starts up the tree while I takemy stand off my back. Once upon his standwhile removinghis safety strap he says in a not so load voice "Buck". I look up from what I am doing and see a very large deer's body about 45 yards out. I'm thinking this is the buck because it's head is behind a tree but while I'm fumbling with my bow to get the Primos Bow Sling off, unstrap my release and nock an arrow without being detected I see a very nice large bodied buck with pure white antlers bringing up the rear from about 5 yards behind the doe. This buck was a good 20" 6 point prob ally weighing 200 lbs on the hoof. I try to move behind the tree but every step was crunching the frozen snow whileboth deer moved in our direction. I'm somewhat behind the tree ready to drawif opportunity presents itself. The doe moves to within 20 yards of me and the stare down begins. The buck is frozen watching her still 5 yards behind bur facing directly at me while the doe moves even closer to me. The doe starts to circle passing almost directly underneath Dave. I contemplated shooting the doebefore it had a chance to circle and get my wind but that was short lived as the buck started to follow her. He is now at 20 yards and sees me and starts the head bobbing. That didn't last long and he was out of there catching up with the doe and waltzing across the field in short order. This was at 11:45. Dave saw this buck last week scent checking does. He must have found one last hot doe as he kept her from that group of 10 we watched. It was truly a great experience and what I call a successful hunt with blood on the arrow. We plan to give it one last shot on Monday and Tuesday next weekbefore the season ends Thursday. BTW Dave shot a nice doe Saturday.
Old 01-23-2008, 05:48 PM
Site Buck Guru

Default RE: A succesful hunt doesn't necessary mean a kill

Sounds like a great day in the woods. Nice hunt.
Old 01-23-2008, 05:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats on a great hunt. Lucky you to be still hunting!
Old 01-23-2008, 06:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thats cool Mr Mur.
Old 01-23-2008, 06:32 PM

nice story wish we were still hunting as well.
Old 01-23-2008, 08:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

Good times.......Good times!!!!!!
Old 01-23-2008, 08:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like a fun hunt.
Old 01-23-2008, 10:15 PM

sounds awesome . congrats on a good hunt
Old 01-23-2008, 10:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Rick is right, the buck is a real beauty. He may only be a 6 point, but he's the kind most hunters won't hesitate to shoot. He's at least 20" wide with a tall, very symetrical rack. I watched him fighting for about 20 minutes with another buck last week before scent checking the does. There are some scrapes that have re-opened in the area too. It was killing me not being able to kill him - he was broadside, in my "sure-kill" rangewith no obstructions and unaware of my presence. Not having my bow with me while taking down my stand . . . . [:@]

Maybe next week.
Old 01-24-2008, 04:07 AM
Boone & Crockett

Sounds like a good hunt. I think I missed the part of why you didnt' shoot the buck [8D][:-]. Good luck the rest of the season. I can't believe there are people still hunting.

Quick Reply: A succesful hunt doesn't necessary mean a kill

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.