Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How many have killed a buck they let walk in prior seasons?

Old 01-23-2008, 09:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default How many have killed a buck they let walk in prior seasons?

Just curious here. I let several go in the 2006 season that I didn't even see this year.
Old 01-23-2008, 09:33 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: How many have killed a buck they let walk in prior seasons?

I killed a nice 3 1/2 year old buck last year that I had let walk the last day of season the prior year.
Old 01-23-2008, 09:35 AM
Dominant Buck

I had 44 buck SIGHTINGS in 2006.

I had SEVEN buck sightings in 2007.

I've killed bucks I've seen, before.....but I've yet to let one walk one year and see him the next. If I'd had a chance to shoot the one I shot this year.....last year....I'd have tried to kill him. The other buck I took, this year, was a BB, last year.....for sure. I didn't see more than 4 different bucks, this entire season.....in 48 sits.

I "passed" on 15-17 1.5yr olds in '06....only to see ZERO of them, this past year.
Old 01-23-2008, 09:40 AM
Fork Horn

It's too hard for me to tell. Since I am only able to take 2.5 year old bucks (the older ones just don't exist around me), it's too hard to tell if it was the same buck as the year before. When bucks are button bucks, there's no way of telling what their antlers are going to look like when they are 1.5 and no way of telling they are the same deer from year to year (unless there is some sort of physical marking). The same goes for when the bucks are 1.5. They could range from spikes to small 8 or 10 points...but you never know what they are going to look like the next year. So much can change. Now...if there were some older bucks around my highly pressured area, I'm sure it would be easy to tell the same buck at 2.5, 3.5, and 4.5 years old.
Old 01-23-2008, 09:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

I haven't shot one that I've seen before, but the past 2 seasons I have seen the same buck and let him walk both times. But if he comes back next year.....
Old 01-23-2008, 09:44 AM

Just once. There was a sickly looking, small 3 point buck on one of the farms I hunt. The next year he was still there, cant miss his little frame and sickly walk. We has still3 points but he had nice mass. Last week of the season he came by me and I still had a buck tag so I took him.
Old 01-23-2008, 10:09 AM

Mr. Java let one walk ; nice wide one.. was a small six the first year he saw him. Same buck came by following year..
6 pt to 8 pt
1" brows to approx 4"
15" wide to 20" wide

Nice one.

Old 01-23-2008, 10:11 AM
Boone & Crockett

I have no idea. I pass and pass and pass some more and I always wonder if any of the 3.5's I've taken or the 4.5 I missed are bucks I've passed before. I never recognize them as previous sighted bucks. Problem with PA, the one I pass probably get shot, at least I'm trying.
Old 01-23-2008, 10:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

Same like Rob, I would have no way of knowing what the young bucks I pass on turn out to be.
Old 01-23-2008, 10:23 AM
Fork Horn

I passed on a 14" 8 point last year that was a young buck. He got hit by a car in August. Had a real nice rack at that point.

Quick Reply: How many have killed a buck they let walk in prior seasons?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.