Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Brace Height Question - Airborne Speed?

Old 01-22-2008, 09:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Brace Height Question - Airborne Speed?

ORIGINAL: loogout1

Finally,having tyrannasaurus rex arms has its advantage!!
Not really an advantage but there are ways of evening things a bit. Then it depends on the Archers skill.I think too many long draw guys try to shoot too short of a bow and to low of a BH. In the end they just create themselves problems, but if they are that good and can do it more power to them

Dan
Old 01-22-2008, 09:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Matt / PA

Power stroke is one,shorter brace has a longer power stroke,that creates more time for mistakes to happen and affect the outcome.

The other is it is easier to torque the limb tips when the brace is decreased,due to having more leverage to manipulate them.

In your example,as I stated in my last response,they should just about cancell each other out due to power stroke.I doubt that it would be completely cancelled out though.
That's the reason I threw that out there (I know the answers LOL)
I just see too many people blindly throw generalizations out there about certain topics without really considering how they relate to the miriad of variables created by the fact that we are all for the most part different. Diffferent in size, expereince, ability etc etc.

You have someone see a brace height number of 6 1/8" and they are instantly fed the line......."Oh you don't want that it's not forgiving to shoot"...........Not forgiving compared to what?
If you take that guy with the 27" draw length what would he gain by listening to that logic and chosing the slower 7 1/4" brace height bow when compared to me with a 30" draw length?

Even though I'm theoretically shooting the more forgiving bow with the 1" higher brace height, the shorter draw length archer (again in theory) will come out on top by choosing the shorter brace height bow.
Since our draw lengths are 3" different and the brace heights are 1" different, when the smoke clears he has a theoretical 1" brace height / powerstroke / length of time on the string advantage over ME and didn't have to give up 10fps in the process.

Thats where a short brace height speed bow has lots of merit, it allows shorter draw length archers to compete on a level playing field in venues where speed is an advantage such as 3D or wanting more energy for hunting situations.

That is if it is a 1-1 comparison,I am not sure it is(really don't know)but I agree with you completely.I feel it might be a little less than a 1-1 comparison but again,that is for each archer to figure out for themselves.

When I get asked about what bows to choose,that is usually the first question I ask is what draw length but I will usually err on the side of caution,especially with longer draw shooters.
Old 01-22-2008, 09:34 PM
Typical Buck

You're raining on my parade Dan. Just when I thought size didn't matter, here you come!
Old 01-22-2008, 10:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: loogout1

You're raining on my parade Dan. Just when I thought size didn't matter, here you come!
That is just what your wife tells you.[8D]She doesn't want to hurt your feelings.

Sorry,that was just left out there for someone to jump on.
Old 01-23-2008, 05:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

TFOX .... thank you! Great stuff!!!
Old 01-23-2008, 06:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

Tony, Archer X shooting a 101 with 29" draw allowing for a 7.25 BH and the 1.75" from the back of grip to draw length. That would give archer X an effective power stroke of approx. 20"
You on the other hand have a 27" draw and lets say you are shooting an 82 with a 6.125" BH and again the 1.75" from back of grip to get the measured draw length. That would mean your resulting effective power stroke would be 19.125"
Since the riser on the 2 are the same and the A to A is within .25" (a wash) your arrow stays on the string for 19.125" and Archer X's arrow stays on the string for 20" which do you think would be more forgiving?

I talked to guys every week that are Loving their 82's. Some have already drawn Blood. I can't wait to get mine as I think it is the ultimate speed bow.

Dan
Old 01-23-2008, 01:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: MeanV2

Tony, Archer X shooting a 101 with 29" draw allowing for a 7.25 BH and the 1.75" from the back of grip to draw length. That would give archer X an effective power stroke of approx. 20"
You on the other hand have a 27" draw and lets say you are shooting an 82 with a 6.125" BH and again the 1.75" from back of grip to get the measured draw length. That would mean your resulting effective power stroke would be 19.125"
Since the riser on the 2 are the same and the A to A is within .25" (a wash) your arrow stays on the string for 19.125" and Archer X's arrow stays on the string for 20" which do you think would be more forgiving?

I talked to guys every week that are Loving their 82's. Some have already drawn Blood. I can't wait to get mine as I think it is the ultimate speed bow.

Dan
I got what your saying, Dan ... and thank you ... I have my eyes on a soon to be used one .....
Old 01-23-2008, 01:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

No Problem Tony!! AnytimeYou'll Love the new Toy

Dan
Old 01-24-2008, 03:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: MeanV2

Dan

I have given them some more thought and although I agree that a shorter draw archer can shoot a shorter brace bow and it be more forgiving to thatperson than a long draw person shooting the same bow.We can not look at it as a wash in a 1-1 comparison as in the scenario above.

The bow still is easier to torque due the the fact that the grip is still closer to the limb tips,so for that reason,the bow is still touchier to either shooter.SO,imo,it is not a 1-1 ratio but the shorter draw can still get away with a shorter brace than the longer draw due to the shorter power stroke but due to the leverage on the limb tips,it can not be the same even if the power stroke is identical.

As I said earlier,that is something that the archer will need to decide how short a brace that they can get away with.