Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Brace Height Question - Airborne Speed?

Old 01-22-2008, 05:54 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Brace Height Question - Airborne Speed?

I absolutely agree. I shot the 82nd at 27(correct dl) and the 101 at 27.5(.5 too long). I dont necessarily know that the .5 felt way out for me, just different, like valley starting later. Aside from that I dont know if I felt that one was more forgiving than the other in the short amount of time I tried them. They were both outstanding.
ORIGINAL: MeanV2

ORIGINAL: loogout1

I shot both only a dozen times or so each, and couldn't really find too much difference in the 2 except one was slightly long on me. I shoot 27 and the 101 starts at 27.5. As far as camo options, you cant get them in Predator either. Wont stop me from buying one.
It is important to shoot the bows at your draw length to get an accurate feel for them, any of the Bowtechs.

When at all possible!

Dan
Old 01-22-2008, 06:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: PreacherTony

ORIGINAL: MeanV2

Matt, in response to your post I have always advocated that shorter draw guys can get away with lower brace heights and slightly shorter A to A and still have the same amount of forgivness in a bow all else being equal

Dan
ok Dan .... why?
Think about it? Longer draw lengths change a lot of things on a bow, power stroke, string angle, etc. I didn't run any tests with Black and white answers.

That statement comes from shooting archery and being around a lot of others shooting for 40+ years. I shot short brace height bows for years and shot them as well as I am capable of.

All this said, but you stillwon't get my Guardian away from me. It is a Blast to shoot and I can shoot groups seemingly effortless with it. Yeah I'll probably be packin the Airborne Mule Deer hunting next fall when a 50 yard shot is not out of the question, but my Guardian and General will find their way in a Tree or Blind with me quite a bit.

Of that I am sure!

Dan
Old 01-22-2008, 08:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Washington Hunter

I've shot both.

The 82nd seemed no less forgiving than the 101st.

It should be, but wasn't.
Did you actually test for forgiveness or just shoot for groups.Any bow is accurate if all is done right,ANY.

Did you try to purposely torque the grip or try to push a shot into the middle like tends to happen way to often in the woods or on the range?

IMO,brace should always be considered when choosing a bow for any venue.The string suppresors will all but eliminate the issue with clothing contact from the short brace but there is always a chance of making a less than perfect shot.

I know I say the word forgiveness all the time to the point of redundancy but it is crucial for me.I am not that good to where I can forget about it and I am better than average.I find it interesting that pros usually choose higher brace bows to hunt with and they are the best in the world.

So to answer the question,the higher brace is inheritantly more forgiving but that really isn't the same as accurate.So is a longer a-a bow.The trick is to find the happy medium for your style of hunting.

I prefer over 7" brace with little reflex,no more than a 1 1/4 and atleast a 36" a-a.After I look at those numbers,I then look at the ibo.

Of course,the shorter the draw length gets,the shorter the brace and a-a can get and allow for the same amount of forgiveness due to the shorter power stroke and the opposite is true for longer draw archers.
Old 01-22-2008, 08:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Matt / PA

Ok here's abrain teaserquestion for any who care.........given the same amount of reflex in the riser (which is a given since both have the same riser)

Which bowshould be more forgiving with relation to brace height.........and what is it exactly about a higher brace height that makes it more forgiving?

Bow A) 101st Airborne at 30" draw length
Bow B) 82nd Airborne at 27" draw length

Power stroke is one,shorter brace has a longer power stroke,that creates more time for mistakes to happen and affect the outcome.

The other is it is easier to torque the limb tips when the brace is decreased,due to having more leverage to manipulate them.

In your example,as I stated in my last response,they should just about cancell each other out due to power stroke.I doubt that it would be completely cancelled out though.
Old 01-22-2008, 08:25 PM
Typical Buck

TFOX, what do you mean by "push a shot into the middle?" If a 7" brace is acceptable to you at your dl, what would you consider acceptable or forgiving at 27"?
Old 01-22-2008, 08:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

TFOX, what do you mean by "push a shot into the middle?" If a 7" brace is acceptable to you at your dl, what would you consider acceptable or forgiving at 27"?
IMO,I would like to see atleast 6 3/4 brace at 27 but that isn't my decision to make. I shoot 28"- 28 1/2" and my specs are listed above for a HUNTING bow,I prefer more for targets.

Pushing the shot off is getting close to the spot with the pin and forcing the pin into the middle and squeezing.This is referred to as a command shot ,REAL CLOSE to a punch.

The problem is that most hunters shoot this way and don't even realize it is wrong.
Old 01-22-2008, 08:49 PM
Typical Buck

This may sound stupid but what is the correct way? I would imagine it would involve holding your pin steady on your intended target and pulling thru the shot, squeezing the release with BT.
Old 01-22-2008, 08:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

This may sound stupid but what is the correct way? I would imagine it would involve holding your pin steady on your intended target and pulling thru the shot, squeezing the release with BT.
The only thing I would add to what you just assumed is that you should LET the pin float in the middle and not just push it there and fire.Of course,when hunting,the game may not let you get the pin settled in for very long and you will have to command the shot,which makes forgiveness even more important imo.
Old 01-22-2008, 09:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

Power stroke is one,shorter brace has a longer power stroke,that creates more time for mistakes to happen and affect the outcome.

The other is it is easier to torque the limb tips when the brace is decreased,due to having more leverage to manipulate them.

In your example,as I stated in my last response,they should just about cancell each other out due to power stroke.I doubt that it would be completely cancelled out though.
That's the reason I threw that out there (I know the answers LOL)
I just see too many people blindly throw generalizations out there about certain topics without really considering how they relate to the miriad of variables created by the fact that we are all for the most part different. Diffferent in size, expereince, ability etc etc.

You have someone see a brace height number of 6 1/8" and they are instantly fed the line......."Oh you don't want that it's not forgiving to shoot"...........Not forgiving compared to what?
If you take that guy with the 27" draw length what would he gain by listening to that logic and chosing the slower 7 1/4" brace height bow when compared to me with a 30" draw length?

Even though I'm theoretically shooting the more forgiving bow with the 1" higher brace height, the shorter draw length archer (again in theory) will come out on top by choosing the shorter brace height bow.
Since our draw lengths are 3" different and the brace heights are 1" different, when the smoke clears he has a theoretical 1" brace height / powerstroke / length of time on the string advantage over ME and didn't have to give up 10fps in the process.

Thats where a short brace height speed bow has lots of merit, it allows shorter draw length archers to compete on a level playing field in venues where speed is an advantage such as 3D or wanting more energy for hunting situations.

Old 01-22-2008, 09:14 PM
Typical Buck

Finally,having tyrannasaurus rex arms has its advantage!!

Quick Reply: Brace Height Question - Airborne Speed?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.