Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Shooting HELP...please Help me!

Old 01-22-2008, 12:31 PM
Fork Horn

Default Shooting HELP...please Help me!

I am almost 23 years old now and have been shooting archery equipment since I was about 6 or 7. I started with a cheap "long-bow" style bow with no way to adjust the poundage and no sights. Then, I migrated to a cheap compound from about age 9 to age 11. These were my first years shooting with a release. I was able to shoot consistently good during those yerars, but when I got a bow that had enough oomph to kill a deer at age 12, I have had a tough time squeezing the release. It's something that I've tried to get over for the past 10 seasons and I just can't break my habit.

The problem:
It seems as though when I am shooting at a live deer, I think I settle down and squeeze the trigger on the release. My problem is when I target practice. I can draw my bow back and immediately put the finger over the trigger...but when I look through my peep sight and see the pin where it should be, I pull the trigger right away. If I draw back and settle the pin where it should be before putting my finger on the trigger, I seem to have to reach and pull the trigger rather quickly. If you were not able to "get" anything out of that, my problem is that I cannot seem to rest my finger on the trigger, settle the pin where I want, and slowly squeeze the trigger. This is greatly affecting my consistency. I have been fortunate to kill a number of deer with my bow, but I just can't get over my "target panic". I think I am a little trigger happy. I have been told to shoot one arrow per day and that's it. That way, I know I make my shot count.

Any suggestions to help me out would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-22-2008, 09:41 PM

Default RE: Shooting HELP...please Help me!

I got over mine...like three times now...by having someone stand next to me and tell me to draw and aim. I cannot shoot until that person says "shoot", and sometimes they will say "let down" insteadof shoot. This forces me to aim, not knowing if they will let me shoot or not. Really helped me, though I needed a refresher a couple times.