Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Never Give Up! You might get rewarded...

Old 01-22-2008, 10:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Never Give Up! You might get rewarded...

Well after 8 weeks and countless hours of searching I finally found him, with the help of my trustee Golden, Ely and his sniffer I located my buck in the middle of a 20-30 Acre cattail swamp. I downed this buck back on Nov. 20th during regular gun season with my archery gear. I had made the decision to hunt the gun season with archery gear since I had seen a monster during the bow season and wanted to get him with a bow or not at all. While this guy wasn't him, he was a shooter for sure, I lung hit him with a pass through and off he went. I gave him an hour or more tracked him, saw him got to within 10 yards he looked down for the count, he jumped up and bolted. I went from all time high to all time low, I search hard for 3 days and countless hours for the past 8 weeks whenever I could. Saturday AM I took my dogs out nad circled the swamp downwind of where I thought he might have went and low nad behold Ely caught wind and led me right to him about 80 yards in and buried deep. Yup all time high once again. he was 3/4 of a mile from where he dropped the first time. Moral of this story is don't ever give up you never know when or where you might find your trophy. This buck while not my largest will always be one of my best memories and he taught me a things or two as well.

Old 01-22-2008, 10:58 AM

Default RE: Never Give Up! You might get rewarded...

Glad you can rest the mind now, but why didn't you take the dog in there the next day or two after you shot? Or did the dog have to have a strong odor to smell?? Congrats anyway!!!
Old 01-22-2008, 11:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

The buck entered a large tract of land I didn't have permission to enter until a couple weeks after i shot him, also where I found him I thought he may have went since it is a really thick swamp area although without knowing he was in there for sure I didn't want to go in make all kinds of comotion push out all the deer to surrounding landowners and come up empty handed.
Old 01-22-2008, 11:27 AM

cool, well what are you gonna do with him, find a new cape?? euro mount??
Old 01-22-2008, 11:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nice Canuck.. Congrats!

I shot this deer a couple of years ago.. It took me 14 months to find him. He died in a very large cattail swamp too. He's been home for about a year now.. and I have closure as well.[&:]

Old 01-22-2008, 11:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

Glad you found him man. Looks like plenty of critters had many dinners. That rack has some nice mass to it.
Old 01-22-2008, 11:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Canuck33

Well after 8 weeks and countless hours of searching I finally found him, with the help of my trustee Golden, Ely and his sniffer I located my buck in the middle of a 20-30 Acre cattail swamp. I downed this buck back on Nov. 20th during regular gun season with my archery gear. I had made the decision to hunt the gun season with archery gear since I had seen a monster during the bow season and wanted to get him with a bow or not at all. While this guy wasn't him, he was a shooter for sure, I lung hit him with a pass through and off he went. I gave him an hour or more tracked him, saw him got to within 10 yards he looked down for the count, he jumped up and bolted. I went from all time high to all time low, I search hard for 3 days and countless hours for the past 8 weeks whenever I could. Saturday AM I took my dogs out nad circled the swamp downwind of where I thought he might have went and low nad behold Ely caught wind and led me right to him about 80 yards in and buried deep. Yup all time high once again. he was 3/4 of a mile from where he dropped the first time. Moral of this story is don't ever give up you never know when or where you might find your trophy. This buck while not my largest will always be one of my best memories and he taught me a things or two as well.

thats REAL far on a lung hit[&:]
Old 01-22-2008, 11:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

thats REAL far on a lung hit[&:]
A single lung could most definetely do that.
Old 01-22-2008, 11:37 AM

Maybe if he hit one lung he might go that far, but not both... either way, let's not rain on his parade, Im sure he didn't want the deer to take it that far.....or expect it to... but no way was it a dbl lunger.
Old 01-22-2008, 11:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

could have been a one lung hit 125py.

Quick Reply: Never Give Up! You might get rewarded...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.