Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Your chance to shine (3D/Target Resume')

Old 01-21-2008, 07:22 AM
Dominant Buck

Default Your chance to shine (3D/Target Resume')

I'm just beginning to get into 3D. I shot 2 tournaments (both indoor) after the '05 season....improving from one to the other....but not placing in the top 10 in either.

After the '06 season.....I shot 3 (indoors)....and 1 outdoors, last Fall. Indoors (and in my home shop) I managed to win one of them.My first outdoor tournament....I think I finished 19th.

I shot my first outdoor of this year on Saturday....and managed a 3rd place finish after a REALLY shakey start. I have 2-3 more tournaments on the radar in the next week.

BUT.....these are all local club shoots. I KNOW we have some guys here who've won local, state, regional and national titles.

Tell us what you've done in this "sport"!

And.....Has it improved your bowhunting skills.....as far as confidence in your shooting?

EDIT: Amended to include Target Competitions
Old 01-21-2008, 07:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Your chance to shine......3D Resume'

Short but sweet.. I'vbe never shot one and recently realized that neither sight I haveis legal for 3D!

1 (HHA)has a move-able single pin and my new one (Copper John)has 6 pins. Geez..Guess I never will shoot in one. Too many regulations!

Edit to include Target. Local Shop League shoots 5 days a week including 2 sessions per night ..estimate 140 shooters

1st year shooting ..Won 3rd place Hunter C class 2003
3rd year shooting ..Won 1st place Hunter B Class2005

This is Vegas 600 round
Old 01-21-2008, 07:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: GR8atta2d

Short but sweet.. I'vbe never shot one and recently realized that neither sight I haveis legal for 3D!

1 (HHA)has a move-able single pin and my new one (Copper John)has 6 pins. Geez..Guess I never will shoot in one. Too many regulations!
Just cheat like everyone else does.[:-]
Old 01-21-2008, 07:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

I’m a back yard 3-D champion. Still undefeated against my 6 yr old neighbor.[8D]

I shot one indoor 3D with my longbow last spring. I broke several arrows (I was shooting woods) but was still able to finish the event…barely.

We start up again at the end of the month and I plan to shoot the full league (this time with some more durable arrows).
Old 01-21-2008, 08:00 AM
Dominant Buck

Rybo.....When I was starting my round, Saturday....there was a group of guys going BACK out (from a different stake) to compete with trad gear. THAT looked a heckuva lot more fun than what I was getting ready to do (less competitive I would assume.....until you get to a certain level).

I may do that, Saturday.
Old 01-21-2008, 08:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Your chance to shine (3D/Target Resume')

My first season shooting competitively was in 2005, shot in probably 10 local events. After my first 5 shoots or so, I ended up in the top 1-3 places on a consistent basis. Wrapped the season up at a VERY large regional event that draws 300+ shooters every year (Tupper Lake Mountain Challenge) and shot against most of the best in the Northeast and Canada and ended up only dropping 5 arrows on a 60 target course (590/600) with something ridiculous like 30X's (x's scored only for tie breakers), but still only took 5th place with that score. Had we been counting 11's or 12's for X's, I would have likely placed, I had the highest X count there.

Second season (2006) I didn't shoot until July, was working with a coach and I elected not to shoot at anything for 3+ months so that I could focus on rebuilding my shot execution. Started shooting again in July 06' after missing the first part of our local league, and won literally every hunter class event I shot in that year except for1 (Dan/Jawshooter got me). Included in that win streak wasthe ASA NY State Championship in hunter class (my coach ended up in 2nd [8D]) which was also my first timeshooting the ASA scoring system. I also cleaned my first 3D course on all 10 rings that summer. I held an average of 310-318ish that summer with IBO scoring as center 11's on a 30 target course.

My first time trying, in 2006 I also managed to place4th in our state FITA championship (outdoor spot shooting to 90 meters). I also shot my first 550+ score in field archery in 06', ended up with a 552 on the hunter target face.

After 3D season ended in 06' I started training hard for indoors, and was shooting some really good games (444-449) and honestly just burned out a bit. When hunting season started I stopped seeing the coach, and stopped shooting a target rig, and focused only on hunting. Didn't get back into it really until probably the following February, started seeing the coach again and working on the basics to try and get back to where I was.

Threw a borrowed bow together with less than a week notice and sighted it in and went to Harrisburg for the Eastern Sportsmans Show without looking at or shooting any foam for 6 months, and managed to take 3rd place in February 07' in the hunter class. Not tremendously tough competition there, but it's a tough course and something you can't really prepare for, and the huge crowd watching will test anyones nerves. Add in the fact that I was really rusty and competing against a bunch of guys that were all halfway through an outdoor 3D league, and I was pleased with at least placing. Pics below of the shooting line and crowd, along with me and my cool moose trophy.

Went on to shoot the 07' season and won all but 1 event locally (12+ shoots) in the Open class while using a MBR (pins/long stabilizer) class rig. I was the only one in the class shooting without an adjustable target sight, which is a major disadvantage from the long stakes. Didn't shoot any large events other than the New York Bowhunters Rendezvous (very large local/regional event that draws guys from around the state) and managed to take 1st place in the open class, I was also shooting a MBR setup here as well against the full blown open class guys.

I've made a commitment to really give it a good effort in 08 for 3D. This last weekend I shot for the first time in our indoor 3D league, I'll be back in Harrisburg again shooting MBR class at the sportsmans show,will be competing in the IBO Northeast Indoor 3D Championships in Springfield, MA in February (should qualify for worlds there), will shoot an entire list of local shoots all summer long, and then will end up in Ellicotville, NY for the IBO Worlds in August. Worlds are now only about 4 hours from me, a very easy drive, and I'm going to really work my butt off to get there in good shape both mentally and shooting wise.

Last yearI actually beat a guy on a few occasions locally that has 3 top 10 finishes at the IBO Triple Crown in MBR class between 2006/2007.If I can bring that kind of game to Worlds this year and just shoot to the best of my ability I'll be happy with wherever the cards fall.
Old 01-21-2008, 08:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

Wow that's a tough one to follow.

This is honestly my first year competing in anything.

I shot one spot tournament a few weeks ago and took 5th place.

THroughout our indoor league at the shop, I've placed in the top 5 almost every week, and I won my first shoot last week. It was my first tournament with the new Ross 337 Comp. I'm REALLY liking this bow right now, it seems to just "fit" me. Although I'll be taking both of my bows when I go to Jeff's, the 337 is what I'll be shooting with hopefully.
Old 01-21-2008, 09:14 AM
Dominant Buck

Matt Miller......That's impressive. Kudos. VERY impressive.

Matt/TN.....looking forward to the weekend. I wanna see some of this good shootin!
Old 01-21-2008, 09:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Matt Miller......That's impressive. Kudos. VERY impressive.
Wow our names are pretty close...

Matt Miller....Matt Millard [:-]
Old 01-21-2008, 09:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Have shot comp since the mid 80's.Won or placedin many local shoots.Got out of it for some time(10+YEARS my job)Got back into the IBO last year,placed 9th over allin the Michtriple crown and plan on being in the top 5 this year.

Quick Reply: Your chance to shine (3D/Target Resume')

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.