Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Your chance to shine (3D/Target Resume')

Old 01-22-2008, 09:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Your chance to shine (3D/Target Resume')

I've been shooting in 3d shoots since 1993, all in hunter class:

Won 2 local 3d shoots
Shot in a regional (SW PA IBO I believe) shoot placed in the mid 20's

Won 4 local shoots
Placed top 3 in 7 local shoots
Placed top 5 in 12 local shoots
Competed in a Central PA regional shoot making it to the championship round (top 10 archers of well over 100) and placed 10th

1996-1997 Did not shoot as competitively. Maybe 5 shoots per year.

Placed top 10 in 3 FL shoots

Placed top 5 in 2 FL shoots
Placed top 10 in 5 FL shoots

Won 1 local FL shoot
Placed top 5 in 6 FL shoots
Placed top 10 in 11 FL shoots

Won 2 local FL shoots
Placed top 5 in 2 Regional South Florida Shoots
Placed top 3 in 4 FL shoots
Placed top 5 in 11 FL shoots
Placed top 10 in 14 FL shoots

2002-Moved back to PA and did not compete

Target panic year no placing

Placed top 10 in 2 SE PA local shoots

Placed top 5 in 4 SE PA shoots
Placed top 10 in 9 SE PA shoots

Placed top 3 in 2 SE PA shoots
Placed top 5 in 6 SE PA shoots
Placed top 10 in 8 SE PA shoots

Placed top 5 in 2 SE PA shoots
Placed top 10 in 7 SE PA shoots

The vast majority has been local shoots. When you get into sanctioned/regional shoots the level of competition increases dramatically and if you are not very serious about competing you won't be very competitive.

Old 01-22-2008, 10:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: MN/Kyle

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

I've probably shot in over 300 3-D shoots. I've been doing it since I was 3 years old. We don't have a local Archery Club around where I live anymore, we use to put on 4 shoots a year. Our club was called Crow River Archers. We were very well known in the 5 state area as having one of the better 3-D shoots in the Upper Midwest for allot of years. We would have 1 spring shoot, 2 summer shoots, and 1 winter shoot. I've only done it competitively 4 times at a regional level. In 1987 as a Youth at a Traditional shoot I won 1st place in regions at the Youth recurve level but never went on to state being I was just there for the fun of it anyway. Another time at the same Traditional shoot but a year earlier (1986) I took 4th place as a Youth in the recurve level at the regional level. The other 2 competitive 3-D shoots were also Traditional but as a adult, one was 2006, placed 40th out of 300 recurve shooters. The other was this last year in 2007 and I placed 45th out of 350 recurve shooters. We don't go for the competitiveness or to win these Traditional shoots, we go to have fun and its the only Traditional shoot in the area that I know of. Its a damn good one too if anyone is interested in going this coming year. Its in the 1st or 2nd week of June located in Coon Rapids Minnesota. Its an all Traditional shoot only. Its A very well known 3-D shoot.
Very cool Steve, I may have to come watch ya shoot in Coon Rapids this summer, only 40 min drive from me.
Get yourself a cheap Trad bow and shoot with us, its all about having a good time! None of us really care how good we shoot or if we place! They have 60 targets of 3 rounds with 20 targets per round. They have a Minnesota round, an Africa round, and a western round. On each round they have one metal target at about 12 yards, only the vitals are not metal. You won't believe how hard it is to hit them vitals, I guys nerves are going crazy thinking about the metal. Last year I wrecked 2 arrows out of 3 on the metal targets at 12 yards! I couldn't believe it!!! I've never had this much fun at a 3-D shoot!
Old 01-22-2008, 07:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

I picked up another indoor 3d win tonight. Won by 6pts
Old 01-22-2008, 07:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

My resume is severely outdated so no need to copy paste it....

I have won I would guess 40+ local shoots over the past 6 or so years all in HC... I haven't shot but a very small hand full of local shoots the past couple years though, maybe a half dozen shoots all together with only one where the score cards get turned in.

I can recall a couple 2nd's, no3rd'sand maybe6-8 or so where I did not place.

I have not placed in a national level shoot as of yet but I have never shot points down (sub 400 on a 40 target course) on the national level either.....

It is a large commitment to travel the national level circuit, a commitment I have yet to make.... If things go well this year shooting I will hopefully attend all 3 legs of the National Championship Triple Crown and the Outdoor Worlds..... Time will tell.

*EDIT* Oh yeah, I did win the HNI hunt n' camp 3D smackdown last year

[/align]
Old 01-22-2008, 07:41 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have seen buckeye shoot

He's that damn good
Old 01-22-2008, 09:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Buckeye;
*EDIT* Oh yeah, I did win the HNI hunt n' camp 3D smackdown last year
Well...My Claim to Fame is that I Chocked at the Huntingnet.com 3D Shootoff ,
YEP I Still Hold That Title Till Some Other Sucker Wants To Challenge Me For That Title At The Next HNI 3D Shoot...Thats theOnly Title I could Win Last Year[:@]........

Its all Todd's Fault and That Damn Keg Of Beer He BroughtYour gonna be there this year .. Right Todd
Old 01-22-2008, 11:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: HuntingBry

I've been shooting in 3d shoots since 1993, all in hunter class:

Won 2 local 3d shoots
Shot in a regional (SW PA IBO I believe) shoot placed in the mid 20's

Won 4 local shoots
Placed top 3 in 7 local shoots
Placed top 5 in 12 local shoots
Competed in a Central PA regional shoot making it to the championship round (top 10 archers of well over 100) and placed 10th

1996-1997 Did not shoot as competitively. Maybe 5 shoots per year.

Placed top 10 in 3 FL shoots

Placed top 5 in 2 FL shoots
Placed top 10 in 5 FL shoots

Won 1 local FL shoot
Placed top 5 in 6 FL shoots
Placed top 10 in 11 FL shoots

Won 2 local FL shoots
Placed top 5 in 2 Regional South Florida Shoots
Placed top 3 in 4 FL shoots
Placed top 5 in 11 FL shoots
Placed top 10 in 14 FL shoots

2002-Moved back to PA and did not compete

Placed top 10 in 2 SE PA local shoots

Placed top 5 in 4 SE PA shoots
Placed top 10 in 9 SE PA shoots

Placed top 3 in 2 SE PA shoots
Placed top 5 in 6 SE PA shoots
Placed top 10 in 8 SE PA shoots

Placed top 5 in 2 SE PA shoots
Placed top 10 in 7 SE PA shoots

The vast majority has been local shoots. When you get into sanctioned/regional shoots the level of competition increases dramatically and if you are not very serious about competing you won't be very competitive.

2003,That's always fun.Been there and done that.Still creeps in from time to time.

I feel your pain
Old 01-23-2008, 07:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: TFOX

ORIGINAL: HuntingBry

2003,That's always fun.Been there and done that.Still creeps in from time to time.

I feel your pain
Yeah, I think that anyone that shoots long enough will go through it. I sold two bows and tried 4 different releases trying to shake it including a back tension. After a couple of bloody noses and fat lips I ditched that thing. The only way I could beat it was I quit shooting for about 4 months and then picked up the bow with low expcectaions. After that everything "clicked."
Old 01-23-2008, 08:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Your chance to shine......3D Resume'

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Rybo.....When I was starting my round, Saturday....there was a group of guys going BACK out (from a different stake) to compete with trad gear. THAT looked a heckuva lot more fun than what I was getting ready to do (less competitive I would assume.....until you get to a certain level).

I may do that, Saturday.
Good luck. You will have a blast (place GPS locators in your arrows)!!

When I was in my teens (just starting archery)and early 20's I was eat up with all things archery. My dad would drive me all overevery weekend to shoot the local 3-d's and some big events each year. I have a box full of trophies from those years and placed inmanyof themore competitive shoots when I was older. I honestly believe I burned myself out on it. The last two shoots I went to recentlyI shot strictly forpleasure and I used my recurve,those shootswere by far the mostfun Iever had on a 3-d course. I enjoyed the other shoots but it wasmore for the competition and the challenge, it was far more serious, and that's okI may even venture back intoit one day but for now I will probably stick to the recurve and the occasional hunter class 3D(for practice with my compoundhunting gear).
Old 01-23-2008, 08:40 AM
Fork Horn

I qualified for the IBO world shoot several times but have never gone. I was really into shooting tournaments in the 80's & early 90's. But kinda got out of it after that. Have a brand new 3-D bow that's been hanging in the garage for many years. Any kind of shooting helps you in bowhunting. Any practice is good practice.

Darrall