Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Technical question - Twisted Peep

Old 01-19-2008, 01:36 PM
Bartender

Default RE: Technical question - Twisted Peep

I almost sense you have the answer and just quizzing here?
Old 01-19-2008, 01:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thinking about it, I thought wrong. It doesn't matter if the peep is slightly cw or ccw, the poi will still be a little to the right because:

The circle has been reduced to an egg, meaning it's horizontal diameter has also been reduced. Since you are maintaining the halo on the left side of the peep, you are foreced to look through the peep maybe 1/32 to 1/64 inch to the right of it's original position.

With a bow, if you move the front of the alignment points (meaning the pinsight) the poi will move in the opposite direction. This is why "they" tell you to "follow the arrow" when adjusting your pin. The opposite if true for example with a rifle. If you move the rear alignment point, the poi will go in the same direction you moved the sight.

Since you are forced to look 1/32 to 1/64 to the right to maintain your halow on the left side of the pin guard, you essentially have adjusted your bow like a rifle and the poi is hitting more right. How much right? -not much, it's the equivalent of moving your pinsight 1/32 to the left. Perhaps an inch to an inch and a half.
Old 01-19-2008, 01:54 PM
Dominant Buck

Hoytail

That's what I was thinking....and it made sense in the field, today. I shot 8, 8, 8, 8, 10, and 8 on my first 6 targets, today. I twisted my d-loop a little so that it was aligned again....and only shot one more 8 in the last 14 targets.

EACH and EVERY 8 I shot in the beginning was perfect for elevation (meaning I got the yardage right).....but was off to the right on windage.

I'm happy I brought it home, good.....but I'd like to know what I coud have shot.[&:]
Old 01-19-2008, 06:47 PM
Dominant Buck

Well.....What "I" have to fight when I shoot targets is....maintaining the "halo" around my sight ring.
You're fighting the sight. Your anchor and the spot should be your concentration. You're looking at the sight and not the spot. Let the shot happen, back tension, relax.... it'll go off.
Old 01-19-2008, 06:51 PM
Dominant Buck

Hey David....thanks for checking in.

I DO focus on the target. I check my peep/sight housing alignment with my left eye closed.....JUST FOR A SPLIT SECOND. then I open them both and focus on the target. "Sometimes"....I might close the left eye again to make sure I've still got the "halo". But rest assured.....I AM focusing on the target.

I agree that this is vitally important to note. Thanks!
Old 01-19-2008, 09:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

You can also just puch the peep into place at full draw. I have to do it when I first put a peep in.
Old 01-21-2008, 01:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with what Hoyttail is saying. Best solution to the problem, go back to the tried and true tubed peep site. I've played around with a few different styles, but always ended up back where I started. Get a tubed peep, use a SILICON tube, not a rubber one, and never worry about it again. Just my thoughts. I've never drawn back with a tubed peep and thought "Whoa, somethings needs straightened??" If I do, then I've really got problems.