Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Age, score and do you shoot this deer?

Old 01-19-2008, 06:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Age, score and do you shoot this deer?

That's a nice deer. He has a very pretty rack with good character.Judging age is tough without a broadside view and I have no experience with texas deer. My guess is 3 1/2 simply because drops and stickers usually dont start hapening till then (there are exeptions,I shot a nice droptine in 99 that was 2 1/2). I's guess he grosses in the high 120's.

I'd bet that 95-98% of all hunters would have shot him. Congratulations on the self control. It looks like if you get the chance next year, he'll have a real drop and nice stickers on theG-3's as well as the G-2's. He ought to be great next year! I would plan ontaking him next year!!!
Old 01-19-2008, 07:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

3.5 135" hell ya shoot him tons of character, cool looking buck.
Old 01-19-2008, 07:04 AM

I would think this deer is 2 1/2 and should not be shot he has potential to grow into a nice buck he's showing signs of bladed beams and next year he will have kickers off of his g3's along with he's showing some real nice characture which will be with him the rest of his life I'd pass for at least 2 years you got the potential for a nice non typ. if you don't shoot him
gross 125
net 115 tops
age 2 1/2
Old 01-19-2008, 07:10 AM
Site Buck Guru

Looks like a 3 1/2 to me. 136 gross. I'd let him go another year then give him another look.
Old 01-19-2008, 07:27 AM
Typical Buck

I think you're glad you didn't!
Absolutely. The original deer may have actually photographed a little bigger than how I saw him. His ears are pinned bak in the pics making him look wider than he probably is, which I estimated at 18" top.
I estimated a low 130's and maybe a high 120's but with lots of potential.

But here is the kicker. I passed this deer and several others that were similar in score during the season, only to fill my tag towards the end with the deer below. There will be some that will take this statement as being disrespectful to the animal- that is not my intent. I chose to shoot the deer, and it was a memorable experience.

But the point I am trying to make, to at least myself (and this thread is therapeautic) is quit shooting deer this size if you truly want to shoot bigger deer. It was simply lack of discipline and the ego thing of having to fill a buck tag on my part.

We have all heard the saying " Don't pass up a shot on the first day that you would take on the last day." But I think for some of us, we need turn that around. "Don't take a shot on the last day that you would have passed on the first day."

I guess my question to you is how many other deer in your area have you seen that are in the 140' and up range.
None in the last two years, and I always wonder why.

Old 01-19-2008, 08:34 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-19-2008, 08:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

i think that he is actually 4.5
he goes around 135-140 IMO

and hell ya i would shoot him
Old 01-19-2008, 08:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

We have all heard the saying " Don't pass up a shot on the first day that you would take on the last day." But I think for some of us, we need turn that around. "Don't take a shot on the last day that you would have passed on the first day."

Well said!
Old 01-19-2008, 09:05 AM
Site Buck Guru

Good saying.
Old 01-19-2008, 11:01 AM
Typical Buck

From what I can tell from the pics. no older than 3.5..........if you are after 140" deer let him grow,cause next year he should fit into that slot, right now he's only in the low 130's and shows alot of potential.

Quick Reply: Age, score and do you shoot this deer?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.