Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Little things that really tick you off.

Old 01-18-2008, 11:07 AM

Default RE: Little things that really TICK you OFF!

you climb 25 feet up in the tree get everything set up climber strapped in just turn and grap the bow cord to pull it up and yet some how throught climbing and everything. Your bow cord was never clipped on the stand and when you went to grap it you notice this but for some reason instead of being careful uyou spasm and nock it down 25 feet to the ground. I also have to agree about the squirrel thing many of squirrels have been killed from my bow becuase of that very thing make themselves sound like a deer. Or a squirrel get all of 3 feet from you face stare at you and then bark for whats seems like an hour right at you.
Old 01-18-2008, 11:09 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Little things that really tick you off.

People who start threads about what ticks them off.
Old 01-18-2008, 11:09 AM
Dominant Buck

It's the little things that irk me, too.

1. I take my time and go in early.....stealthy as I can. Then thos GOSH DARN metal hooks on my summit climber seat hit EVERYTHING metal they could hit.....while I'm trying to get my stand unpacked. They need to figure out a better mouse trap.

2. When my bowhook acts like it is afraid of the wood on the inside of the tree....and spins on the outside without grabbing. Many a wasted effort of getting to the tree and up without sweating has been lost to this phenomenon.

3. Getting to the height you want to hunt from in your climber.....getting fuly dressed with about 5 layers.....and THEN relaizing your binos and strapare over layer 1.[:@]

4. Forgetting my facemask or gloves.

5. Leaving something at the foot of the tree (although these times have proven QUITE fruitful).

6. How do all those damned knots get into my haul line???????????????????????

7. Forgetting I have my wrist strap release on.....and realizing it right after it hits the cold metal of my stand.

8. squirrels. 'nuff said.

I'm sure I'll think of more.

After over 100 climbs....I've pretty much got a good system figured out with my gear. What used to be a PITA....has been addressed and a new system found. BUT....these still get my goat.

Old 01-18-2008, 11:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Little things that really tick you off.

ORIGINAL: burniegoeasily

People who start threads about what ticks them off.
Memory Lane is it..............
Old 01-18-2008, 11:17 AM

This is why I've gone mostly to still hunting. There are just so many details, and so much equipment and so much clothing associated with tree standing, it takes much of the enjoyment out of it. Not to mention that you have to allow an extra hour to deal with the setup. I used to tree stand all the time and my biggest peeve was having to poop, either the second I get to my tree, or worse yet after I get up. I feel that for most hunters, if they would devote as much time, energy, preparation to still hunting as they do to tree standing, they would enjoy it more and have equal success.
Old 01-18-2008, 11:23 AM
Dominant Buck

What ticks me off the worse, when the wind slows to a very slight breeze, then begins to swirl. Or when the wind didnt listen to the weather man and causes me to change tacktics on the spot.
Old 01-18-2008, 11:27 AM
Dominant Buck

Not to mention that you have to allow an extra hour to deal with the setup.
I might be weird....but it takes me 10 min., tops. That's taking my time.....being as quiet as I can....and going slow to keep from working up a sweat.

I could set up a ladder and a lock on in <30 minutes!
Old 01-18-2008, 11:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

When my bowhook acts like it is afraid of the wood on the inside of the tree....and spins on the outside without grabbing. Many a wasted effort of getting to the tree and up without sweating has been lost to this phenomenon.
Amazing how everything can be going so smoothly, but a 10-minute UFC cagematch with a 2-ounce rubber-coated hook can turn everything into a total cussing sweatbath.

I love it when it justbores a hole into the tree - pulling out all kinds of bark and wood with every turn - but never actually biting into the tree and screwing in.Sure, they look all cute and green andfun and festive in their fancy schmancy little plasticpackaging....butin reality they'relittle green agents of Lucifer - hell bent on testing your meddle before your butt ever touches the seat.

Then, you're stuck sitting in the tree with that hateful little green demon all day, while it sits there mocking you.

Almost as if it's saying "go ahead, Nancyboy, say somethin'. Test me. See if I won't throw this bow of yours right down to the ground and smash it into a million pieces."

Old 01-18-2008, 11:29 AM
Dominant Buck

Exactly, fran.............................exactly.
Old 01-18-2008, 11:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

i hate it when i get to my stand and the wind changes........and i really hate it when a deer blows at me!

Quick Reply: Little things that really tick you off.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.