Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Colarado Elk hunt, pipe dreams

Old 01-18-2008, 07:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Colarado Elk hunt, pipe dreams

you got it brotha
ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

Oh, and forget everything you know about whitetail hunting, your not hunting whitetails, go into turkey hunting mode and watch the wind!
Old 01-18-2008, 09:04 PM
Super Moderator

bloodcreek, do it! I was 51 when I finally got to go. I went with 2 other guys and we split gas. All I was out was my tag, camping supplies, etc. It really didn't cost me much. I learned a lot, didn't score on an elk, but had the time of my life. Maybe not necessary but I got a prescription from my doctor to take care of any altitude sickness in case it bothered me. $10 worth of pills had my system ready for the first day while my buddies had to take it easy. I walked and scouted over 12 miles the day after I arrived while my buddies couldn't make 1/2 that distance. I admit the first time I hit 10,000 feet I was only traveling 50 feet at a time then stopping, 50 ft. and stop. 10,000 seemed to be the magic number for me the first couple of days[:-]. Anyway.....I am going back sometime soon I hope and it ain't getting any easier, I'll be 54 in May.
Old 01-18-2008, 09:31 PM

Dont forget everything you know about Whitetail hunting. Everyone says that and it is simply not true.

The only thing that I would leave out of my arsenal for elk hunting would be the idea of sitting for hours, day after dayin one spot. Elk have huge ranges and tons of game trails, and therefore are not nearly as predictable as Whitetails, they just cover too much ground to consistently use the same trail everyday. Now should you find a good, ACTIVEwallow, well then stand hunting may be back in play.

Elk have food sources and water sources that they hit regularly and some that are seasonal just like a whitetail. You need to be on the move and scouting as you go to find these places. When you find the one that is hot, you hunt it, you stalk it morning and evening, you glass it, if possible and you watch them leave to know where they are bedding. If it is overly warm in early September, elk wont be bedded on sun facing slopes, they'll be in the shaded north facing slopes, just like a whitetail. They use funnels just like whitetails do. You can call that bull in using"grunts" and "bleats" just like a wiley old whitetail. You need to read sign to see if it is fresh or if you should move on to a different area, just like a whitetail. If you get too close and screw things up you can make that herd dissapear, just like a whitetail buck.

Use everything you have learned Whitetail huntingto help you gain an advantage. Dont get this idea in your head that you have to change the whole way you hunt. Just keep in mind that elk hunting is a much more active sport than typical whitetail hunting, now do this!As long as you enjoy the guys you are going to be with, you WILL NOT regret it.

Ahuge tip I can give you...yes be in shape as best as you can, but it will never prepare you for the altitude. IF possible spend a couple nights at your hunting elevation before you really start to chase elk. Those couple days will pay big dividends rather than if you get there and just start hunting immediately.
Old 01-18-2008, 10:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

Oh, and forget everything you know about whitetail hunting, your not hunting whitetails, go into turkey hunting mode and watch the wind!
Thats the biggest thing against you in the mountains!!! Wind and extra eye's!!
Old 01-18-2008, 10:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Go for it Danno. I went in 05(NM) and it was a blast. It is on my list to do again. It doesn't matter how good of shape you are in, that altitude will kill ya. Heck even our guides had to stop for a blow now and then.

When you setup to call, have the callers at least 50-75 yards behind the shooters. That way the elk is looking for the callers and not the shooter.

Definately comfy lace up boots. You will walk a lot, and some could be rocky terrain.
Old 01-18-2008, 11:14 PM

Well if it's an annual thing and you can set up a savings plan over the next two or three years and maybe combine a small loan then why should it be considered only a pipe dream eh?!
Old 01-18-2008, 11:38 PM
Banned

I'm a failry well seasonsed elk hunter, I'll answer your questions best I can

So if it does happen and they said September, what are the bulls doing that time of year, (rutting?)
big difference between Sept 1-7 and Sept 20-27

early season will have undisturbed elk, not a lot of response to calling, few herded up bulls with cows, warmer weather etc. Last week of season most animals will be herded, they've been hunted, big bulls are hard to get away from their cows, bulls responding to calls much better, worse weather possible

are tags bought over the counter or is it a draw, what is the weather temps like in Sept in Colarado?
OTC in some areas, draw in others - where you going is what you need to know. Weather temps are highly variable depending on the "where" - if you're very south Colorado in 6,000 pinions ? Thats going to be in the 70's in the daytime but if you're at 11,000 feet in dark timber it might only be in the 50's or 40's - it varies a lot on any given year.

what kind of foilage would i be dealing with? lace up boots or rubber, or both?
again, varies greatly. I hunt 10-11 K feet and dark timber. Wear boots that fit you, and make sure your feet are conditioned to your boots before your hunt. Blisters will end your elk hunt quicker than anything.

Best way to deal with the meat, cape after a kill if that happens?
debone your animal, pepper or vinegar to keep the flies away, game bags, pack it out as soon as you can

What calls are needed?? I have most of the equipment needed, but not all. I have a grasp on the fitness thing so thats not an issue.
fitness is almost everyones downfall when it comes to elk hunting. after 15 years in the mtns I've been there, seen that and can't emphasize it enough. Your cardio needs to be there, your legs need to be there, your feet need to be there ..... most say they're "ready" but few are

This what you're after ?

I killed this bull in ..... geesh, 1995 I think ? I shot him at about 8-10 steps after calling him in. I drew 3 times on this bull as he was rubbing a tree, on the 3rd draw drilling him. I killed4 bulls in my first5 years of elk hunting, the 1 year I didn't kill I passed on bulls looking for a big one.

A) get in shape. if you can run 4-5 miles at a 8 minute pace, you're in shape. If you can't ? You maybe aren't in as good a shape as you should be. Your feet need to be conditioned to your boots BEFORE your hunt

B) hunt away from ATV's, however you can escape them, do it

C) I think more and more bugling hurts your hunt more than it helps. the bulls are hammered so much with bugles .... c'mon they know a real one from a fake one most of the time

D) be prepared, don't take anything for granted. The older I get, the more altitude affects my body. I almost died in Colorado because of dehydration and hypoglycemia one year, it snuck up on my bigtime and I was in the best shape I'd been in in a long time. One year I helped a young couple on a very cold, rainy night. They had a tent, 1 sleeping bag, no fire, jeans and tennis shoes 4 miles from the road at dark and it howling wind, spitting snow and rain. Could have been a VERY bad situation for them. I've went to sleep and woke up the next morning with 10" of snow caving in my tent. One year it rained cold rain for 4 days straight. 2 years ago it starting snowing and didn't end for 3 days.

be prepared

Elk hunting is an adventure. It was tax you physically and mentally if you go hard at it. You'll see amazing country, and majestic elk, mule deer and maybe even bear. Bugling elk is amazing. I'm drawing a muzzlelader tag this year ( 2 PP should get me a tag ) and myself and my buddy are hiking 5-6 miles into a wilderness are for our hunt. This will be Sept 10-19th, almost bivy style hunting. My camp will consist of a 4 pound REI tent, one Jet Boil burner/fuel, Mtn House meals, bare essentials for hunting and camping and hopefully under 35 pound pack.

You could rent llamas, I have a great contact for rentals in Colorado Sprint, very good prices and they make elk hunting a LOT easier

Old 01-18-2008, 11:46 PM
Banned

dammit now you've got me thinking about elk ! I had knee surgery 3 weeks ago, I've got a lot of work to do before Sept ....

my first bull

I called this bull in for my Dad - called him to 6 steps !

on top of the world - this peak was a 13,000 one we crossed into a hell hole of an area, the trip that about did me in

one of my favorite places

Old 01-19-2008, 06:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

Again some awesome info guys and outstanding pics, you really got me pumped now I just talked with a guy at work that went last season, the cost$ is not as hellish as i thought, its looking real do able
Old 01-19-2008, 09:55 AM

Lots of good advice here. The only thing I would add is that the hunter success for archery elk is fairly low - and the odds are you won't get one. You will almost certainly see and hear elk. Pretty likely you will evenget within shooting range. Try to enjoy the whole experience of the thing. If you actually get one, it's a "cup runneth over" experience.

ALso, you can get an either sex license; and subsequently get an anterless license as well. Would allow you to get lucky and kill a cow the first day - and keep on hunting. Kinda stinks to sit in camp for ten days if you tag out the first day. Bring a fishing pole otherwise.

Quick Reply: Colarado Elk hunt, pipe dreams

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.