Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Turkey hunting with the bow?

Old 01-18-2008, 07:10 AM
Bartender

Default RE: Turkey hunting with the bow?

Hey gents I need a answer from page 1, thanks
Old 01-18-2008, 07:12 AM
Dominant Buck

I assume most of you guys use a blind for this?
I do.

Ok to use my 2 blade rage?
Sure.....but I wouldn't use it ona bird I was planning on having mounted. TOO much trauma
Old 01-18-2008, 07:14 AM
Bartender

If I happen towant one mounted what type of head? thx
Old 01-18-2008, 08:28 AM
Typical Buck

Now I havent done this so here is another question so be easy on me, Ok to use my 2 blade rage? I will do a search and see if their are specialty heads
for turkeys.
IHIGHLY recommend the NAP Gobbler Getter for turkeys. With turkeys, a complete pass through is LESS desired as there will be little to no blood trail anyway.

The tip of Gobbler Getter is rounded and almost as blunt as the end of your finger to prevent a complete pass through and to provide more of a "knockdown" phenomen when the arrow strikes.

While far from and expert, I have killed 11 turkeys with these broadheads and have yet to lose a turkey, including a very poor shot on one that hit too far back, but because the arrow did not pass through, I was able to chase the turkey down.

It is also a good idea and recommended by most to reduce your bow poundage as well, as to minimize the possibility of a pass through. i.e. 50# something is better than high 60's or 70# for turkey.
Old 01-18-2008, 08:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have taken 4 with a bow - once again all in Fla - I hadn't tried any turkey hunting in NC - but may try a lil this year - Fla was some tuff hunting as most were taken on public land and I spent most of the season on weekends trying to tag one - proud memories - I've taken osceola and eastern
Old 01-18-2008, 08:53 AM
Dominant Buck

While far from and expert, I have killed 11 turkeys with these broadheads and have yet to lose a turkey,
I call BS on this assessment. Anyone who's taken 11 turkeys with their bow......is THE expert as far as I know.

Respect!
Old 01-18-2008, 09:00 AM
Boone & Crockett

It is also a good idea and recommended by most to reduce your bow poundage as well, as to minimize the possibility of a pass through. i.e. 50# something is better than high 60's or 70# for turkey.
I agree with this statement. Both turkeys I took with my bow this past KS trip, the first arrow disappeared into never, never land, that's $25 gone...LOL ACC/Snyper

The second tho was very cool, it pinned the bird to the ground, he pole vaulted off and did a death run on camera.

Both turkeys were shot with my whitetails setup, 70 lb Ally, ACC's, Snypers 305fps, 79 fts of KE...WAY OVER SETUP!

From now on, I'm backing a bow way down even though both birds fell in sight on camera, it was shot placement, not power and speed! Coming soon to River Valley Game Calls, Vol IV of their Headhunters series DVD. (Shameless plug)....LOL [8D]
Old 01-18-2008, 09:28 AM
Typical Buck

I call BS on this assessment. Anyone who's taken 11 turkeys with their bow......is THE expert as far as I know.
I appreciate the accolades, but in all seriousness, it kinda comes down to a lot of things discussed on here, and that is the differences in one's own area.

In our country, we have a distinct advantage in having fewer trees that are big enough for turkeys to roost, yet we have an abundance of turkeys. Therefore, we have very predictable roost locations.

While I try not tohunt within 200 yards of a roost, I still set up in a double bull blind on major travel routes to and from the roost and then it is just a matter of time. It is legal to hunt in P.M. here as well as morning, giving us twice the opportunity as compared to some areas in this type of set up.

Old 01-18-2008, 10:24 AM

here ya go, watch this...turkey tip video

http://doublebull.wildwebz.com/video/media/instruction/2/02.html

starts off showing some deer, but then tells all turkey tips
Old 01-18-2008, 03:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

Turkey's are the ultimate challenge with a bow. Getting drawed on them without a blind is a taskall in its self.I don't use a blind in the spring because there is plenty of folage to hide with. Toms respond good to calls here in the spring. Mid afternoons seem to be a good time to go because the Toms will be up and moving about looking for some new Trim.