Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Turkey hunting with the bow?

Old 01-17-2008, 10:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Turkey hunting with the bow?

it is very difficult for sure...some are more fortunate then others...to be honest i have had better luck hunting them with bow on public land then on private!!!

first time out first shot at a bird with a bow 33yrds hit him right through the wing standing broadside and he dropped.....

had about 6 opportunities last year on private land for birds and could not get it done...i will say cover is a must for archery hunting and a blind is almost a must have in all conditions to be successful..i took the bird on public land on the ground but the terrain made that possible...on flat land you don't stand a chance...blind is a must, IMO....

i would first recommend working on calling...A LOT!!!! to call in a bird for shotgun is easy...to call in a bird for bow..to time it right to get him to come all the way in but not be looking at you when you have to draw back and get the pin on him is a whole nother story.....
Old 01-17-2008, 10:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

This will be my first year turkey hunting with a bow. Can't wait! Think I'm going to try the Grim Reaper B/H's out for turkey depending on how they shoot.
Old 01-17-2008, 10:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Lately, I've had better luck bowhunting turkeys than I have deer. Im 5 out of my last 6, and have tagged out on 2 toms in back to back seasons. We just have an unreal amount of birds in this area, and we've had 3 straight good hatches. Even I can call them in when we have the ratios of birds we've had lately.
Old 01-17-2008, 12:16 PM
Typical Buck

A week ago I missed...TWICE with a bow! It makes it tougher for sure. But, I really dont care what I use, they are just SO much fun to hunt. But, dont make me pick between the 2nd week of November and the mid May, I am not sure I would ever be able to make that decision!
Old 01-17-2008, 01:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think Deer a lot harder here in my neck of the woods.. Turkeys here are very easy to pattern and much more tolerant and visible than the bucks that roam these mountains.... well I should say the old bucks.. If I hunted half as hard for turkeys with a bow here as I do bucks.. I'dget a shot every year at a turkey bowkill, without a doubt..I just dont get that motivated over bow-turkeys.... I do like killing them.. but I'd rather be out shed hunting so I usually get it done so I can shed hunt.. take the boys..etc.. I have killed one nice gobbler with my bow though..it was fun..
Old 01-17-2008, 01:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

I took the bow out one year. Had 2 REAL nice birds come in that I never got shots at. Would have been dead with a gun.
Took the gun, & never got one back in range.

Then I went back to the gun. I'm not sure what I'll do this year. Turkeys are hit & miss for me. Sometimes its so easy. Other times I struggle.
Old 01-17-2008, 01:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

I shot thisturkey without usingablind...

Old 01-17-2008, 02:00 PM
Typical Buck

Shoot, I can barely get drawn on them in a treestand w/out being spotted. I think they can see straight up without "looking up." Stinkin birds.....
Yes, the way their eyes are designed, they actuallycan. It has been my experience that turkeys will pick up movement as quick and probably quicker coming from a treestand than on the ground.

I have killed numerous turkeys with a bow, but all from a ground blind. With a ground blind, turkeys are really not any harder to kill with a bow other than the added hindrance of carrying and setting up the blind, as compared to killing onewith a shotgun in a natural set up.

Now calling in a turkey and killing one with a bow in a natural set up, that is a tough, tough challenge that I have never been able to accomplish.
Old 01-17-2008, 02:03 PM
Dominant Buck

8pt.....if you shot that bird off the ground.....without a blind....in the spring.......

You've accomplished something I hope to one day. Respect!
Old 01-17-2008, 02:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

8pt.....if you shot that bird off the ground.....without a blind....in the spring.......

You've accomplished something I hope to one day. Respect!
Thanks! It was shot in the fall. I was deer hunting beside a tree when this turkey walked right outin front of me.

Quick Reply: Turkey hunting with the bow?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.