Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How many of you USE your archery land?

Old 01-16-2008, 07:00 PM

Default RE: How many of you USE your archery land?

We own 194 acres here in WV and we hunt everything there. Deer, Squirel, Turkey,coon with dogs, bear with and without dog. We walk in it ride 4 wheelers and whatever we want. We enjoy our land and the deer don't seem to mind.
Old 01-16-2008, 07:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: M.Hensler/PA

Question to those who live on your land, and dedicate it solely to hunting...what do you do in the offseason? I just can't fathom living on a great piece of land (they aren't making any more of it), and just looking it it for 8-9 months out of the year. I'm not knocking the decision to dedicate it to hunting only, I just can't really comprehend it. On one side, the argument can be made that the deer movement is altered due to heavy activity (especially in and around core areas) and even moreso on smaller parcels of land (such as our 90 acre tract). However, couldn't it be said that the deer have adjusted accordingly (i.e. became accustomed to it)? I mean our land has seen constant activity for 30 years (my dad built our place in 78). Could it be said that as long as the activity was "low impact" as possible (walking, hiking, etc) the deer herd would not dramatically alter their behavior?
I actually don't live on my 100 acres, but I live close enough to it to where I can monitor it pretty often. After turkey season is over, I really don't go there too often.I'm pretty much fishing from midMay tilmid July.Late July and August I start working for the upcoming bow season ( checking stands, clearing trails, bushhogging, etc...). I like to be finished with all my work by the end of August.
Old 01-16-2008, 08:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have 30 acres where we live, with 40 that my grandmother owns neighboring it. I'm out there at least once a week from Feb-July checking trail cams, shed hunting, mushroom hunting, hanging stands, etc. I've killed my 2 best bucks in the past 2 seasons since I bought in in Dec 05. What some may call intrusion of the deer habitat, I call extensive scouting. I can't just look at the ground, I did buy it to hunt on, but I also bought the ground to use.
Old 01-16-2008, 08:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

My place I stay out of most of the time. I have certain chunks though that I don't go in except the last week of PA's season (one good 20+ acre chunk, my honey hole), and another few chunks I never go in at all except for a single quick walkthrough in February/March to look for sheds.

I do turkey hunt in the spring, and I do usually go out calling for yotes at least 1-2 times in the winter post season and use the yote hunting as a time for post season scouting as well. During these times I still stay out of my honey hole though as well as the sanctuary.

This upcoming summer I may poke around in there a bit more to move a few stands, I also plan to create at least 2x man made funnels as well in specific areas.
Old 01-16-2008, 10:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

We have 180 acres - and enjoy it in one form or other at least once a week. I cannot imagine not having the property and not being able to enjoy it. Sometimes my "enjoyment" is foodplots and other times its "cutting wood for the cabin" -or letting my dog have "free run" which he doesn't get at home. Other times its a casual walk through the woods.

That said - after winter - I pretty much stay out of bedding areas - and I don't Rabbit or Grouse hunt anymore in the fall.

FH

Old 01-16-2008, 10:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Mine is 140 acres. I drive by it everyday on my well route, so it is easy to just drive in and circle through. Most of it is thick brush, though and it doesn't bother the deer in the least. This is cattle country and deer are used to seeing and hearing pickups driving in and out of pastures all the time. We cook out out there some times, too.

During the season, though I try to keep it down to a minimum and If I have to go in there other than hunting I try to go around noon.
Old 01-17-2008, 05:14 AM
Dominant Buck

I live on mine.
Old 01-17-2008, 06:14 AM
Typical Buck

We ride colts thru the woods all spring and summer, bowhunting is important but so is getting the colts started right.
Old 01-17-2008, 06:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Our lease consist of 2000 acres of timber and pastures for cattle. The cattle owner rides his atv around 4 or 5 times a week checking on his cattle. I too ride my atv around on the property to check for deer and sign all spring and summer long. It doesn't seem to bother the deer too much. I also turkey huntthis same property, so I'm out there 10 or 15 times in the spring walking around locating and calling. We also have 3 ponds stocked with a ton of fish. One pond is 13 acres and 40ft deep in the middle. I like taking the boat out almost every other weekend during the late spring and summer. We have been doing this for years and I've never noticed that it bothered the deer in any way.
Old 01-17-2008, 06:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

We own 850 acres on 3 farms...So we also raise cotton, peanuts, wheat, corn and soybeans...We have also laid some the edges back for small game, so we quail, rabbit, squirrel and turkey hunt as well...

Quick Reply: How many of you USE your archery land?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.