Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

"Success rate" on "mature" bucks

Old 01-16-2008, 02:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: "Success rate" on "mature" bucks

ORIGINAL: Charlie P

In my opinion though, success rate on mature bucks alone really shows me little to nothing about someones abilities or skills as a hunter.
How about targeting one mature buck and killing him, What's anyone success rate on that one?
1/1 but that is as much luck as anything. The first time I saw him from the stand all year he walked by. I expect my success rate to do nothing but go down from here.

Edit: I should add that this success would vary depending on how you define a "mature" buck[8D]
Old 01-16-2008, 02:25 PM

0/3 since i started tohold out for a mature buck in 05. Doesnt mean i havent fumbled a few great opportunities though[&o]
Old 01-16-2008, 10:20 PM
TJF
Nontypical Buck

Horrid compared to4.5 year oldmature buck's success rate of living to see another day. [] The 3.5 year olds get an automatic pass so they don't count for me.

1/1 on targeting one certain buck from summer scouting. He was a must have from the get go!! Took3 hunts when the wind was right for hunting him.

I don't normally target one certain buck. Just don't have the time with harvest/job. If I luck out and get a 1/2 day/day off, the wind is seldom right for just targeting one certainbuck.

Time/pressure is a killer for mefor the first two months of bow season. Pressure is the killer the last two months of season when I have time to hunt. If I dropped my goals down to3.5 year old buck, I would kill one every year as I get quite a few shot oppertunites every year. The 4.5 bucksand upare tough tosee let alone getting one inrange. But that is the beast Ilove to hunt. I'll be the first to admit, I have a long ways to go to become mature buck hunter. Then after that I hope to get consistant in killing them!!

Tim
Old 01-17-2008, 04:50 AM
Boone & Crockett

20 years hunting. 11 bucks 3.5 or older. Half of those were dumb luck that I stumbled upon when I didn't really know what I was doing (but I'll take them anyway[8D]).The other half of them I only partially knew what I was doing .
Old 01-17-2008, 01:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

26 years of whitetail hunting...Ive killed 23 bucksthat are 3.5 or older. Rifle and bow combined since I was 12.

8 with a bow that are 4.5 and older