Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

"Success rate" on "mature" bucks

Old 01-16-2008, 12:19 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: "Success rate" on "mature" bucks

In my opinion though, success rate on mature bucks alone really shows me little to nothing about someones abilities or skills as a hunter.
Agree with your assessment, Matt. And your real life example works both ways.
Old 01-16-2008, 12:26 PM
Boone & Crockett

In my opinion though, success rate on mature bucks alone really shows me little to nothing about someones abilities or skills as a hunter.
How about targeting one mature buck and killing him, What's anyone success rate on that one?
Old 01-16-2008, 12:43 PM

ORIGINAL: Charlie P

How about targeting one mature buck and killing him, What's anyone success rate on that one?
zilch..... All mine were first time encounters and never seen again.
Old 01-16-2008, 12:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

I've only shot one buck so far that I consider mature in 13 years of management hunting, I've bow hunted 22 years. It was the 4.5 year old 8 point I got this year. I've passed up I'm guessing 15 to 20 120" to 130" class bucks through out the years knowing I've had bigger bucks in the woods at the time, most of these were 3.5 year olds from what I believe. I've had 6 or 7 occasions where I've had nice 130" to 150" class bucks just out of range of my recurve (20 to 25 yards) My range doesn't go over 20 unless I'm really shooting absolutely knockout superb at 20 to 25 yards and then I may shoot at 25 yards! So yes my success ratio sucks terribly! I see my share but getting them in range is another thing![:@] I need to step it up and try different things like I tried this year! If a persons not having luck, they've gotta switch it up and try something else, it took me to long realize this until this year! It worked this year so I may be on to something next year. Who knows I guess! They are challenging to me thats for sure, thats what makes it fun and frustrating at the same time. I've got a ways to go yet to become a good mature buck hunter!
Old 01-16-2008, 01:18 PM
Dominant Buck

It's according to your definition of targeting, Charlie. I've said all along that I don't go to the woods targeting (specifically) mature bucks. But I had a 3 yr history with the buck in my avatar.
Old 01-16-2008, 01:34 PM
Site Buck Guru

Old 01-16-2008, 01:39 PM
Dominant Buck

Wow, thats a tough one. Ive been hunting since I was 9 years old and bow hunting since I was 10, mind you it was small game at the time. My first deer ever killed was a mature 8 pointer that was 3.5 + years old. I shot it with a 270 when I was 11. To count the number of mature bucks ive taken would be a tough task. This year I bagged two. Last year not a one. Year before that two, before that 1, before that 1, before that 1, . That is about as far back as I can remember.

As far as targeting one, never. I dont own any cameras or the likes. I scout the herd and note its movement and hunt the hot spots. Only time i ever target a single deer is during spot and stalks.
Old 01-16-2008, 01:43 PM
Boone & Crockett

0 for 1
Old 01-16-2008, 01:47 PM
Dominant Buck

0 for 1
LOL....I'm 1-1.....but I don't have a target, now.

I hope Mr. Mass makes it through the winter.
Old 01-16-2008, 02:04 PM

I'm probably not very good for the numbers of this "study".....I've only been after a mature buck for 2 seasons, and I'm batting .500.

Quick Reply: "Success rate" on "mature" bucks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.