Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

why a heavy bow?

Old 01-15-2008, 03:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default why a heavy bow?

this one has me puzzled so i thought i would ask..if you are not shooting tourneys and hunt with your bow...why would you buy a bow that is .5lb to 1lb heavier then anothe bow???

i shoot a parker and my brother shoots an AR and my bow is about 1.1lbs lighter then his...maybe for someone in a tree stand it is ok, but for a spot and stalk or still hunter i would think the lighter the better??? any reason for a heavier bow??
Old 01-15-2008, 03:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: why a heavy bow?

There's some but none good enough for me. One is kind of along the lines of recoil with guns. When applied to bows it just doesn't make any sense.
Old 01-15-2008, 03:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have always shot a heavy bow. For some reason, a heavy bow just feels better in my hand. That is one of the reasons I shoot a Hoyt Trykon (It's a pretty heavy bow). Dan (washington hunter) I think refered to my bow as a boat anchor. I do most of my hunting from a tree stand or blind anyway. Personal preferance for me.
Old 01-15-2008, 03:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

yea i could not think of any reason why for a heavy bow..but most of the "popular" names have .....anchors.....for bows...with todays recoil stabalizing technology you would think a lighter bow would be the go to bow...unless it is personal prefference or the feel of a bow...
Old 01-15-2008, 03:28 PM

Because i like my hoyt[8D]

Next bow i get will definitely be lighter, but the weight isnt a big deal IMO. How much of a difference does .5 lbs really make?
Old 01-15-2008, 03:29 PM
Typical Buck

Heavy bows tend to be more stable to shoot. Why a guy likes bow 1 lbs heavier than yours is because he likes it. Its personal preference, to him it feels better or shoots better or maybe he just liked the way the heavy bow looks. Different strokes for different folks, plane and simple. If we all had the same taste, we would all drive the same car, wear the same clothing (camo too), eat the same food, ect. I think you get my point.
Old 01-15-2008, 03:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

I like a 34 - 36" ATA bow with parallel limbs because it's easier to hold the pin steady AND there is less handshock.

The drawback to this type of bow is, due to the longer riser,it's going toweigh a little more. The benefits of longer ATA and parallel limbs make me look past the slightly higher weight.

I don't think most people prefer heavy bows. Most people prefer parallel limb bows which are inherently heavier due to the longer riser.

Old 01-15-2008, 03:31 PM

For the same reason you use a long stablizer, they hold more steady. The heavier a bow is the more it resists movement once it is settled in your hand and on your target.

Paul
Old 01-15-2008, 03:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

yep that is what i figured....i was just curious as to if there is a "real" advantage for a heavier bow...other than paying that extra $300 for another 1lb
Old 01-15-2008, 03:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

my highlander is pretty light weight..3.12lbs...

i rather buy a pretty light bow...by the time you get it accessorized, its going to gain a couple pounds...i dont feel like luggin a 10lb bow...

though, when buying a new bow, i wont let weight matter, i will shoot them all and see what one feels best to me...in the end, they all weigh within a pound or 2 of eachother...

Quick Reply: why a heavy bow?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.