Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
Mind-numbingly dumb idea
30.95%
Stupid
28.57%
Plausible
26.19%
Actually, not a bad idea
2.38%
Ingenious!
11.90%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Space Blanket Challenge - hni Mythbusters

Old 01-15-2008, 11:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Space Blanket Challenge - hni Mythbusters

THE MISSION(should you choose to accept it): To go to your local camping supply store, and purchase an el-cheapo, highly-reflective space blanket for this experiment.

Once said Space Blanket has been obtained, your next step will be to try to get all the wrinkles out of it (maybe throw it in the dryer for a few minutes and stretch it flat?).

Once your blankie is wrinkle-free,you are readyfor the primary objective:To take it out in the tree, and have someone take photographs of you, wrapped in the space blanket, sitting in your treestand - with skyline and branches in the backdrop.

Take a few photos of you in your regular camo first - to compare.

My theory: The reflective nature of the space blanket will completely obliterate the human outline, and reflect a glimmering blob of sticks, limbs and light.

Is this the ultimate camo? Probably not. But is it a cool idea? I think so.

Secondary experiments:
[ul][*]Stretching the space blanket tight, and using it as areflective exteriorcovering around your elevated blind - with the effect of actually causing it to mirror the surroundings. Take before/after field photos.[*]Construct a ground blind using actual mirrors - and take field photos. Compare/Contrast to the commercially available burlap camo materials. [/ul]

Iknow there's gotta be somebody out there who is bored enough to try this out.

Okay, it won't look this good.

Poll: On a scale of Dumb-to-Stupid - how stupid is this idea?
Old 01-15-2008, 11:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Space Blanket Challenge - hni Mythbusters

Cool concept but you still gotta pull your bow back quietly. Plus if you go the mirror route you could end up with 7 years. 7 years is a long time dude.

Tom
Old 01-15-2008, 11:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

Is this the ultimate camo?
No but this is www.Ultimatecamo.com

Is there a copyright infraction here?? [8D]
Old 01-15-2008, 11:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: quiksilver

THE MISSION(should you choose to accept it): To go to your local camping supply store, and purchase an el-cheapo, highly-reflective space blanket for this experiment.

Once said Space Blanket has been obtained, your next step will be to try to get all the wrinkles out of it (maybe throw it in the dryer for a few minutes and stretch it flat?).

Once your blankie is wrinkle-free, your next objective is to take it out in the tree, and have someone take photographs of you, wrapped in the space blanket, sitting in your treestand - with skyline and branches in the backdrop.

My theory: The reflective nature of the space blanket will completely obliterate the human outline, and reflect a glimmering blob of sticks, limbs and light.

Is this the ultimate camo? Probably not. But is it a cool idea? I think so.

Secondary experiments:
[ul][*]Stretching the space blanket tight, and using it as areflective exteriorcovering around your elevated blind - with the effect of actually causing it to mirror the surroundings. Take before/after field photos.[*]Construct a ground blind using actual mirrors - and take field photos. Compare/Contrast to the commercially available burlap camo materials. [/ul]

OK, I'll get right on that.........................
Old 01-15-2008, 11:34 AM
Typical Buck

Fran - obviously you are studying entirely too much - take a break and go shoot something!

OH - wait sorry I bet that was the study break??!!??

Get back to studying!
Old 01-15-2008, 11:35 AM

Sounds good in theory until the sun is out and the thing reflects light like mad.

Bored today Fran?
Old 01-15-2008, 11:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

Work/Study break.

Come on BobCo - give it a whirl. I know you'd practically sell your ownkidney for a chance to prove me wrong...so here is your golden opportunity. I'm shamelessly laying my credibility on the line with this wild, unproven theory. Seize the day.
Old 01-15-2008, 11:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: quiksilver

Work/Study break.

Come on BobCo - give it a whirl. I know you'd practically sell your ownkidney for a chance to prove me wrong...so here is your golden opportunity. I'm shamelessly laying my credibility on the line with this wild, unproven theory. Seize the day.

I told you, I'm on it...........................
Old 01-15-2008, 12:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Pics....where are the pics? I don't think it will work so good, but who knows.
Old 01-15-2008, 01:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

I told you, I'm on it...........................
And once you got the requested pics. taken care of, I want to see a pic. of the little space blanket folded neatly back to it's original size!

Quick Reply: Space Blanket Challenge - hni Mythbusters

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.