Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Age this deer

Old 01-15-2008, 03:39 PM

Default RE: Age this deer

ORIGINAL: dukemichaels

Awww.. come on Dan... do we have to play like that...

I like you...[8D]
Duke, I like you too...in a straight way. I guess I should have put one of these in.....[8D] instead of one of these..... Maybe even one of these would have worked.....

If you're even in my area we'll have to do this..... But please, no

Old 01-15-2008, 03:43 PM
Typical Buck

Just to clarify some things..............The deer in the first two pictures is the same deer on the same day, now for those that think a 1.5 year old buck has shoulders larger than his rump or as much mass as that buck has, you must have some truly giant 2.5 year olds

The deer in the third picture I posted is a totally different buck that showed up later that day, compare his body proportions to the first deer and you will see the difference............but my question to those of you that feel you have a good handle on aging deer on the hoof is this:
what is the age of this deer:

When you compare him to this deer

Don't even look at the antlers look at the body proportions and depth of the chest.

Then go back and look at the mass on the second bucks antlers.................and compare that to the first buck

Then look at this buck and give me an age on each individual buck and why you feel he is that particuliar age.

Old 01-15-2008, 03:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

i think he is a 2 and a half
it really depends on what you want to do, and where you hunt, in most of the spots i hunt, i would probably shoot him with a gun, and deffinitely with a bow.
Old 01-15-2008, 04:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'll play along...

The first two pics sure look like the same deer.. Are you really sure that they are not? If those truly are different bucks (I can see the extra white on the nose of the first pic) Then the first is a 1.5.... by the looks of it.. and the second is a 2.5. That last one is a stud.. because he is looking at me (quartering towards) this is a difficult one to pinpoint.. He is between 3.5 and 4.5 yrs. of age. If you have a more broadside pic. I could probably put a better estimate in.

Either way.. it can be very hard to tell age in a pic. you really need to see it live.
Old 01-15-2008, 05:23 PM

I agree with duke on his ages.
Old 01-15-2008, 06:28 PM
Typical Buck

The first two are different deer.......I have footage of both that I will post later and you can clearly see the difference..............the main reason I started this thread was to show that it is more difficult to accurately judge age on the hoof than some people realize. With all the "what is a mature buck to you" threads I just wanted to see how many people could accurately judge an animal on the hoof............I realize the pictures are not the best way to tell, but they are what i have to work with.

I would like a few more to tell me their opinions on the age of these three deer and then I will post a video clip that shows the two "smaller" deer on the hoof.
Old 01-16-2008, 06:43 AM
Dominant Buck

In my area.....I'd say this was a 2.5 yr old deer. I can expound if prodded......but we don't get many 1.5 yr olds with this type of antler growth (I've never seen one, here, like this). The size of his neck....in proportion to his body (note the transition) tells "me" this is a young deer. he's got a very nice body, though (thouse back legs/hips are impressive)......but a "doe-like" appearance from the shoulders, forward. I'd love to be able to see hismuzzle a little better.

That is my "guess". Where is this deer's home?
Old 01-16-2008, 06:46 AM
Dominant Buck

Another "guess"......but mine would be that this is a 2.5 yr old deer. Again I base this on MY area. he just looks leaps and bounds above any 1.5 in my woods. I'd also like to know at what time of the year this photo was taken. He's got a less definitive transition between his neck and his body.....which indicates "to me" that he's not a VERY young deer. Proximity to the rut could account for this "some"......but I'll stick to my original assessment. Muzzle and nose on this deer says 2.5 to me, too.
Old 01-16-2008, 06:53 AM
Dominant Buck

You asked for "guesses"....and this one is a tough one, for me to even "guess". TO ME.....it looks like a 3.5 yr old......at the end of the season (post-rut). If I'm right....I'd love to have seen this deer in late Oct./early Nov. . He's got a big, deep body.....with some great muscular structure. i'd love to see a photo of this deer "straight-on"....to be able to see how his head/neck look. This deer looks, TO ME, like he's reached maturity. I can see him filling out more.....but if this deer was in MY woods....I'd say he was definitey a 3.5 yr old....and quite possibly older. For the purpose of this exercise.....i didn't even take into consideration the rack ont his deer. THAT would be a whole nuther indicator for a deer in MY area.

He is BEAUTIFUL.
Old 01-16-2008, 09:15 AM
Spike

At least 2.5 maybe 3.5

Quick Reply: Age this deer

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.