Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Gross vs Net

Old 01-23-2008, 09:44 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Gross vs Net

If you guys are complaining about the scoring (and I totally agree), then why do you still enter them in B&C and P&Y record books? Just food for thought!
Old 01-23-2008, 10:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

It's hard for me to give any recognition to anything that Jackie Bushman is involved in....
Old 01-23-2008, 11:27 AM
Fork Horn

While it is nice to know how your deer compares to others, I think that trophy hunting is damaging deer hunting over all. Buy a big car if you need to impress your associates. Leave hunting to those who do it for sport and not part of a competition. If you have to hunt behind a high fence with controlled genetics, just buy a mount on E-bay.

I have said this before- I think that it is tragic that a hunter can shoot a beautiful deer and he had to post its picture on this forum and ask if it is beautiful. If you are hunting for horns only you are probably not shooting that doe the DNR wants you to shoot. (If you shoot any buck and pass on does, that is no good too.)

Deer should be judged on the table, with onions and spuds.

That all being said, I think that keeping a typical frame score AND a gross score helps to describe the rack. I have seen some massive ten point typicals that I would take over some of the malformed, cancerous looking giants that some people brag up. I also think that symmetrical features should count on all typical racks. If a deer has forked brow tines or G2's, and it is the same on both sides, the deer has just grown the way its genetics told it to. Same with symmetric drop tines. I have even seen deer with double rows of tines, the same on both sides. That should still be all typical.
Non-symmetrical features are usually caused by injuries or illnesses accumulated over the life of the deer. They should be part of the gross.

Bob