Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Gross vs Net

Old 01-15-2008, 03:07 PM
Bartender

Default RE: Gross vs Net

lol, I know where you are coming from John. At least Boone & Crockett now will include the gross score in the books along with the net score to get the whole picture.
Old 01-15-2008, 03:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

I don't worry about net, just gross, but since P&Y and B&C are the most recognized scoring methods and record book holders we are at their mercy in terms of scoring methods. So, if you want to be in the club, you have to follow their rules. Otherwise, just look at gross.
Old 01-15-2008, 03:10 PM

ORIGINAL: Charlie P

The net score is the ONLY way you can realistically compare two racks.
I'll throw a couple more in there.

Old 01-15-2008, 03:12 PM
Site Bouncer

Guys, FRALEY (Edit to include HuntingBry)is right.......It's a club and if you choose to join it then you should probably be ready to abide by their scoring rules. If you don't agree you can either try to get them changed (good luck) or don't join and continue (as I do) going by gross score.
Old 01-15-2008, 03:13 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Insatiable

They had a great article on this in the Fall edition of Pope and Young Newsletter/Magazine.

The people who came up with the scoring system did so to rank how "perfect" a rack is according to their vision, which was one wide but not too wide, and symetrical tines, and mass.

There is no such thing as a gross score, only the net counts. It is not listed on te\he B & C or P&Y score sheet anywhere. Only the net value. We only invented the term gross because it gives total antler lenght regardless of symmetry.

The net score is the ONLY way you can realistically compare two racks.

Pffft. There is infact a gross score on both scoresheets titled "Total" or "Subtotal" depending on which you are referring. That would be the the "total" or "gross" score before the human factor of nitpicking deductions in which we penalize the animal based on parts that those organizations have controversially deemed "unwanted" or "undesirable".
And to state that you can't realistically compare racks based on gross score couldn't be any further from the truth.The gross score give a much better mental picture of how big the rack actually was while net score greatly diminish the score of an otherwise truly giant buck.
To penalize a non-typical buck for differences in the G tines, yet reward him for a one sided drop tine is borderline ridiculous. Why is some of his bone "good" and scored while some is "bad" and deducted?? Makes no sense.

Old 01-15-2008, 03:29 PM
Fork Horn

If you don't like it don't join.
It's pretty simple I think.
I don't think posting about it on here is going to get them to change it...LOL
Have Buckmasters score it.

Darrall
Old 01-15-2008, 05:46 PM
Site Buck Guru

I enter all my bucks into P&Y. I prefer gross score as it more closely describes the size of the rack. I use the numbers only as a descripter. The net score, for me is only a means to make the book. When I am describing a huge buck that I saw to a friend I always use the gross.

In this pic, the buck on the right grosses 126 4/8 and nets125 4/8. quite symetrical. It field dressed at 160. Pretty deer. Gross, net what's the difference?

The buckinthe center grosses 138 and nets 116 as a 6 pointer. It actually has 9 points and field dresses at 220. He was the boss of the area and a real bull. On this one I think that gross better describes him, especially if you're talking over the phone!!

Which would you prefer? ................. I liked them both, so I shot them.[8D]

Old 01-15-2008, 05:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey, I think a buck grew what he grew. Net and a drying period are, in my mind, not important and I have always, and will always score my buck as what he grew. No rack is better than another because of the symmetry, or lack of symmetry, that they have. I hate that B&C and P&Y score deer as their net score.
Old 01-15-2008, 07:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Remember, B&C and P&Y scoring methods are to establish standards for measurement. But in our eyes as hunters we should follow the advice of Greg and use the gross and net scores accordingly. when someone asks me about a buck of mine I always quote the gross score because it maximizes the animals antler and horn growth and also maximizes my accomplishment and good fortune.
Old 01-23-2008, 09:06 AM
Typical Buck

Tired of PnYoung n Boone & Crockett

Try the BTR system by Buckmasters. It called the fullcredit system and I've been a scorer for them for 13 years and I'll tell ya what. Every inch is counted and each deer is in a class of it's own % . You can score it imediately ,so no drying time is needed,the only thing they don't include in the score is the inside spread,in my mind I always thought this was a bunch of bull anyways as it's a measurement of air not antler. So if you got a deer with a 12 inch droptine and are ticked off cause it's going to lose inches in deductions,give the BTR system a shot. You'll like it specially if your buck has all type of crap hanging here n their. LOL So you guys that are tired of complaining about the other scoring systems ,give BTR a look see.
Rocky

Quick Reply: Gross vs Net

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.