Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Gross vs Net

Old 01-15-2008, 01:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Gross vs Net

ORIGINAL: waiting_for_a_gift

Jayzus you guys, it's just a number, get over it! Net score is an indication of symetry, which is widely percieved as a desirable charachteristic. Nature is not perfect, so a high net score indicates a rare specimen, which is desirable.

It bugsme that nobody gets too excited about field dressed weight. To me, that's almost as much a trophy indicator as rack score.
Allot of people are now weighing there animals live weight which makes no sence to me! Its pretty easy to figure out why most do it.
Old 01-15-2008, 01:15 PM

Say no to the net!
Old 01-15-2008, 01:18 PM

They had a great article on this in the Fall edition of Pope and Young Newsletter/Magazine.

The people who came up with the scoring system did so to rank how "perfect" a rack is according to their vision, which was one wide but not too wide, and symetrical tines, and mass.

There is no such thing as a gross score, only the net counts. It is not listed on te\he B & C or P&Y score sheet anywhere. Only the net value. We only invented the term gross because it gives total antler lenght regardless of symmetry.

The net score is the ONLY way you can realistically compare two racks.

Old 01-15-2008, 01:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Insatiable

They had a great article on this in the Fall edition of Pope and Young Newsletter/Magazine.

The people who came up with the scoring system did so to rank how "perfect" a rack is according to their vision, which was one wide but not too wide, and symetrical tines, and mass.

There is no such thing as a gross score, only the net counts. It is not listed on te\he B & C or P&Y score sheet anywhere. Only the net value. We only invented the term gross because it gives total antler lenght regardless of symmetry.

I agree with you pretty much on everything you said. That article was by Glen Hisey in the P@Y News letter, it was a damn good one! I talked with him on the 26th of December when I had my buck scored from a P@Y measurer down in Chatfield. Glen told me straight out he gets some pretty threatening phone calls on this, how pathetic can someone be to go as far as threaten someone over ways the P@Y scores there racks. Glen and his son Kevin and his wife run the P@Y museum in Chatfield Minnesota, they are some great people! By the way B@C now puts the gross score in the books along with the net score. The Net score still is the only one that counts. I didn't know that either until Fraley (One of the guys on HNI Forum, He's a good guy!) told me about the change of B@C doing both, it started back in August I guess.
Old 01-15-2008, 02:13 PM
Site Bouncer

This is one of the main reasons why I will probably never enter any of my bucks.

I understand that you have to come up with a way to measure a deers antler size and for he most part I don't have a problem with what dimensions are measured: beam length, inside spread, tine length andcircumferences throughout the length of the antler. It may not be perfect but it pretty much covers it.

Where I have the problem is (like most of us) in the deductions. I think the problem is that a long time ago someone thought"symmetrical" is what everyone believes to be a perfect rack.

I for one, don't agree with that.
Old 01-15-2008, 02:39 PM
Fork Horn

I think it was done so they could have a category for typical and non typical with some guidelines. If your buck has over so may inches of deductions then you can add them to the score and submit it as non typical. I mean you can't really say a buck is non typical because it has a 3" kicker off it's G2.It kinda makes it fair that way as far as having guidelines for what would be considered a non typical buck. I wish they would list the gross and net score though. That way you could see the numbers as far as how big the buck really is. If I remember right you can always enter it in the Buckmasters records. I don't think they deduct anything!...LOL

Darrall
Old 01-15-2008, 02:40 PM
Boone & Crockett

Old 01-15-2008, 02:50 PM
Bartender

It is the Pope & Young CLUB and that being the keyword they have their own set of rules just like any other club would. If you do not like P&Y use Buckmasters scoring system and enter it there.
Do I agree with this no but it's the Club's rules plain and simple.
Old 01-15-2008, 02:55 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: waiting_for_a_gift

Jayzus you guys, it's just a number, get over it! Net score is an indication of symetry, which is widely percieved as a desirable charachteristic. Nature is not perfect, so a high net score indicates a rare specimen, which is desirable.

It bugsme that nobody gets too excited about field dressed weight. To me, that's almost as much a trophy indicator as rack score.
But weight is much more variable than antler score based on geography. A 200 lbbuck may be really big for a state like Texas or Arkansas, where a 200 lb buck in Iowa or Canada is no big deal. The weights would have to be relative to the area the buck was harvested.
Old 01-15-2008, 02:56 PM
Site Bouncer

ORIGINAL: FRALEY

It is the Pope & Young CLUB and that being the keyword they have their own set of rules just like any other club would.
I hear tell they even have a secret hand shake.

Quick Reply: Gross vs Net

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.