Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Gross vs Net

Old 01-15-2008, 09:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Gross vs Net

Not a fan of net score. I understand the intent, but think it is apoor way to give you an idea of the rack size.
Old 01-15-2008, 09:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am a B&C scorer and a P&Y scorer and what we are taught by the hierarchy is that the intent of the scoring is to recognize the accomplishment of the animal and not the accomplishment of the hunter or owner of the antlers or horns. That is why all antlers and horns can be measured and recorded even road kill. When you think in line with this then you realize that both gross and net scores are important.
Old 01-15-2008, 09:56 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Geronimo

I am a B&C scorer and a P&Y scorer and what we are taught by the hierarchy is that the intent of the scoring is to recognize the accomplishment of the animal and not the accomplishment of the hunter or owner of the antlers or horns. That is why all antlers and horns can be measured and recorded even road kill. When you think in line with this then you realize that both gross and net scores are important.
The animal grew X inches of bone. That is his accomplishment. He shouldn't be 'deducted', or otherwiselooked down uponbecause one side is bigger than the other. That is simply nature at work.The desire of 'perfect symmetry' is a flaw of modern man in my opinion. If we are to follow the gospel of P&Y scoring,that is perect symmetry is the goal, then a non-typical such as the Beatty buck or a double-beam buck should actually be an undesireable harvest! Makes no sense in my world.
Old 01-15-2008, 10:03 AM

Forgive me if I misunderstand....but how does subtracting what an animal grows important?

You're right, it has nothing to do with the hunter. But, what P&Y and B&Care doing is an injustice to the animal.
Old 01-15-2008, 10:09 AM
Boone & Crockett

I have never understood why we subtract from the animal.

Can you explain the reasoning for me? I would just like to know
Old 01-15-2008, 10:33 AM
Boone & Crockett

The accomplishment of the animal was to grow what is on his head,no matter how it turned out.

Net is a joke.
Old 01-15-2008, 10:35 AM
Typical Buck

Makes no sense to me either..........if you are recognizing the accomplishments of the animal you would only record the gross score.............but it really makes no difference to me as I don't enter my deer in any record books except my own
Old 01-15-2008, 12:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yep nets are for fish!!! Walt
Old 01-15-2008, 12:55 PM

Jayzus you guys, it's just a number, get over it! Net score is an indication of symetry, which is widely percieved as a desirable charachteristic. Nature is not perfect, so a high net score indicates a rare specimen, which is desirable.

It bugsme that nobody gets too excited about field dressed weight. To me, that's almost as much a trophy indicator as rack score.
Old 01-15-2008, 12:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

What Geronimo said has allot of good truth to it. When this scoring system was made up it was based on a perfect symmetrical rack. The point to it was to give credit to the most perfect typical rack. We all know there isn't a perfect rack but it is what it is and its something your all going to have to live with until or if it ever changes. There's many more important things to be worrying about in bow hunting then a score of a rack.

Quick Reply: Gross vs Net

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.