Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

excited but with some q's

Old 01-15-2008, 06:17 AM

Default excited but with some q's

So I have been a crossbow hunter since I had a shoulder rebuilt. After 2 1/2 years of physical therapy my doctor has aproved of me shooting a bow! I am so excited to finally get to shoot a good 70# compound bow. It should be a big diff then the 30# recurve I have been shooting. My dad has decided that he buys the bow and I buy the accesories. He has left me with 3 choices the PSE X Force (Really want), Bowtech Guardian, and the Diamond Marquis. Wich do you think I should get? I have shot the PSE and the Bowtech and they both shoot so well! I am a 29.5" draw and will be drawing 65#. Thanks in advance for the help!
Old 01-15-2008, 07:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: excited but with some q's

Well since no one answerred I'll go.

Which bow drew easier for you? I'd assume the Guardian would have a smoother pull and roll-over of the models tested.

Don't you think you should start with a 60-70 lb bow cranked as low as possible and build the muscles to avoid any repeat injury? Maybe even a 50-60 lb'r??

Your draw length is long enough that you are going to be fine ..even if speed is your thing. I'd error on the side of health and caution..you can always ramp up on your next purchase. Welcome aboard and enjoy!
Old 01-15-2008, 07:23 AM
Typical Buck

Man, after shooting the X-Force last nite, I would think if you had any problems with pulling a bow back you would not want that bow. It's a monster to break-over and has little to no valley. It's fast, but at what cost....at what cost. I shot the Marquis as well, and it's pretty smooth, not a bad bow. I have yet to shoot the guardian, so I have no opinon on it. Congratulations and good luck.
Old 01-15-2008, 07:25 AM

The diamond marquis is an excellent bow smooth shock free and very fast!!!
Old 01-15-2008, 07:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

Leave your ego on the rack with the xbow,50-60 lbs is plenty and re injury is not what you need.Start low you have most of 7 months till deer season. 2.5 years is a long time to beout of the game. Use the time wisely and enjoy your new bow.
Old 01-15-2008, 08:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Glad to hear your shoulder is well enough to start shooting again.
I think GR8 and bawanajim give you some good scoop on easing back into a heavy bow, dont want to over do it right off the bat!
Cant help you much on what bow to pick, I would just go with the one that I was most comfortable with.
Old 01-15-2008, 03:19 PM

would the Bowtech Guardian have enough speed to be hunting out to 40yards? I really want a bow that would be fast enough so there is a low chance of string jumping out to 40 yards. This is why I am considering the PSE X Force. If the Guardian will fit the bill then I will defiently go with it because it drew just so well!
Old 01-16-2008, 10:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: buttermilkranch

would the Bowtech Guardian have enough speed to be hunting out to 40yards? I really want a bow that would be fast enough so there is a low chance of string jumping out to 40 yards. This is why I am considering the PSE X Force. If the Guardian will fit the bill then I will defiently go with it because it drew just so well!
No disrespect but its not the bow thats good out to 40 yards, its you! You need to practice that yardage and then some! All the new bows that have come out are excellent. I wouldn't worry about what we think about a certain bow. Shoot what feels good to you. I tell ya that Diamond is sure a smoooooth bow! I like it!

Good luck and have fun buying a new bow, I just picked up a new one and was like a kid in a candy store but with less options!
Old 01-16-2008, 03:15 PM

Thanks for the help everyone! I will have to do some more shooting before I can decide, just have to find the one I like more.
Old 01-16-2008, 03:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

As someone who also had a shoulder reconstructed, go to the store and try firing several at different weights. I ended up (much to my dismay) at about 45 lb pull. What an ego buster, but it gets the job done.I tried to return to my 70 lb bow and after a couple of weeks had trouble drawing back even once. Don't rehurt yourself.

Quick Reply: excited but with some q's

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.